Greek perfect chapter in Linguistics in the New Testament

Matthew Longhorn

Greek perfect chapter in Linguistics in the New Testament

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Hey @MAubrey, I was hoping you could clarify some things from your chapter in the recently released Linguistics and the New Testament book

On page 68 you write about high transitive verbs
At the high end of the transitivity scale are events where an agent subject causes a physical change in a wholly different object.
On table 3.4 on page 70 you list δικαιόω amongst the middle only high transitive verbs. Can you clarify how this one fits in with the notion of physical change? Are you expanding physical to include some sort of release from incarceration here in a legal sense like being set free which you also include?

The same question would apply to πειθω which seems to be a change of cognitive state and not physical
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Greek perfect chapter in Linguistics in the New Testament

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

I mentioned that there were "some things", here are a couple more I would be interested in understanding better.

On page 72 you discuss mid-transitivity verbs in the cognitive domain and indicate that the object undergoes a cognitive change. Are you referring to the indirect object here with the examples of ελαλησαν αυτω τον λογον?

A final one is pertaining to the use of the intensive perfect of a stative verb vs the inchoative. A number of the examples you cite as intensive in meaning could equally well be seen as inchoative such as "εγω πεπιστευκα οτι συ ει ο χριστος..." Are there any guidelines around the choice of which option to use can be made?

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”