Strange teachings

sethknorr

Strange teachings

Post by sethknorr »

I keep hearing, what I would refer to as absurd Greek teachings that are being promulgated by those whom people think are expert Greek teachers.

I just wanted to throw these two concepts out for those who study and teach Greek to comment on so I can have a link I can send lay people to who are being taught this so they can see that these concepts are not sound or held by people who teach Greek. I have held off on posting this for a while but the disinformation is really starting to get out of hand.

1. In Greek if a noun has the definite article, it is referring to something that must be instantaneous. Dr. Andy Woods in regard to 2 Thes 2:3 stated:
The advent of the coming lawless one or Antichrist will take place at a specified point in time and instantaneously concurrently with the opening of the first seal judgment (Rev. 6:1-2). The definite article also before the apostasia indicates that in the same way the apostasia will also take place instantaneously.(Andy Woods. The Falling Away, eBook Pg. 16. Dispensational Publishing, 2018)
2. That a noun in Greek can also be a verb. For instance, Dr. Thomas Ice stated (Note in the entire article he never states that apostasia is a noun):
the Greek word apostasia is ‘depart’ or ‘departure.’ Gordon Lewis summarizes the usage as follows: The verb is used fifteen times in the New Testament. (https://www.pre-trib.org/articles/all-a ... s-2-3/read)
Dr. Andy Woods similarly stated:
Sometimes in English we use the same word for both a noun and a verb. For example, if I said, ‘Jane went on a run,’ I would be using ‘run’ as a noun. However, if I said ‘see Jan run,’ I would be using ‘run’ as a verb. The verb form of the noun apostasia is the verb aphistēmi. (Andy Woods. The Falling Away, eBook Pg. 22. Dispensational Publishing, 2018)
Seth Knorr
I always wondered what Greeks think when they see that commercial "λέγω μου Ἐγὼ"
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Strange teachings

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

In those examples those people don't seem to be able to express their thoughts well. I would give them a benefit of doubt and think that they mean something else than what they say. For example, in
Gordon Lewis summarizes the usage as follows: The verb is used fifteen times in the New Testament.
"the verb" may mean "the corresponding verb". It's true that many Greek nouns have verbal counterparts and vice versa. How this fact is expressed is another question.

On the other hand, I believe many of the online and self-published theologians don't know very well what they are talking about when they take stances on technical details and use 2nd or 3rd hand sources. Most of them are probably irredeemable, so I don't know how useful it's to try to refute their claims. (Of course you can count me in their number...)

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”