LSJ hits Social Media

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Jonathan Robie

LSJ hits Social Media

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I was looking at Josephus this morning, and looked up the following word:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... =1#lexicon

I was surprised to see a [select] hyperlink next to the individual senses. I clicked on it, and was directed to a page that allowed me to vote for a particular sense as the meaning of this word in the passage of Josephus that I was reading.

Code: Select all

Current results for occurrence #1 of susta/nta in Flavius Josephus, De bello Judaico libri vii, entry suni/sthmi:

Meaning	
A. BJ Prooem.5, Sor.1.126 (Pass.)); sunista/w ...
II. combine, associate, unite, s. tou\s *)arka...
b. s. *)asi/hn e(wutw=| unite Asia in depende...
III. put together, organize, frame, zw=|on e)/m...
2. contrive, s. qa/naton e)pi/ tini Hdt.3.71;...
!!! SNIP !!!
Does anyone have the inside scoop on this?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
MAubrey

Re: LSJ hits Social Media

Post by MAubrey »

Jonathan Robie wrote:I was looking at Josephus this morning, and looked up the following word:

I was surprised to see a [select] hyperlink next to the individual senses. I clicked on it, and was directed to a page that allowed me to vote for a particular sense as the meaning of this word in the passage of Josephus that I was reading.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on this?
Perseus is working on crowd sourcing in order to have sense differentiation for individual instances of a given word. Just think of the possibilities of having every instance of every word (well, at least those in LSJ) linked to their respective lexical entries directly.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Word Meanings”