Logos 8 Academic Professional

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
mlrolfe

Logos 8 Academic Professional

Post by mlrolfe »

I am about five years in reading/learning NT Greek. I have the Nestle Greek 1904 Text and morphology in an excel file which I have looked at over time and analysized etc, with the goal of presenting the text with other related information, in a form which might be more conducive for reading in a group context. The amount of programing in using Excel and Access could go on and on and so this is the point of this post. Namely the “Logos 8 Academic Professional” currently on sale at 25% off, seems to be the only package of the four which includes DBAG. This package is far beyond my needs but for the price and compared to purchasing individual books, it looks to me, a good deal. I have only studied from books, so what is a digital form of DBAG like to use, compared with the book version. I am also interested to know if Logos permits file creation, and maybe in a format which could be read by Excel?
Thanks.
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Logos 8 Academic Professional

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Certainly we have a lot of LOGOS users here but I assume LOGOS has a forum for answering all questions about content and features just like Accordance. I assume BDAG will hyperlinked to all the greek texts, not just the NT. A more important question is the linking between BDAG and other relevant resources, including commentaries. My experience is from 27 years with Accordance. So don't my word for it. Only someone who has been working with this intensively for years is going to be able to answer this adequately.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
mlrolfe

Post by mlrolfe »

With Accordance, would it be possible to generate a list of the uses in the NT and/or Septuagint, of a partcular lemma based on strongs# or other and if so what format would the list be in.
There are online sites which feature pop-ups for say morphology but I don’t think pop-ups are very efficient way to display information in the case of reading and understanding a passage of text.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

mlrolfe wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 1:16 am With Accordance, would it be possible to generate a list of the uses in the NT and/or Septuagint, of a partcular lemma based on strongs# or other and if so what format would the list be in.
There are online sites which feature pop-ups for say morphology but I don’t think pop-ups are very efficient way to display information in the case of reading and understanding a passage of text.
If that's all you need, Logos would be overkill. There are good reasons for using Logos, but this is a really simple search. You use spreadsheets, you could use this, which has the lemmas:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bibli ... le1904.csv

If you know Python or Grep or XQuery or anything like that, let me know and I can give you other options. For instance, if you know Python, this is a good option:

https://github.com/biblicalhumanities/py-nestle1904

I'm pretty sure there are websites where you can do this online too, I just can't remember which ones just now because I usually do this other ways.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Jonathan Robie wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 8:42 am If that's all you need, Logos would be overkill.
Absolutely right.

I started doing bible research on a Mac in 1990. My reflections on bible software can be found here.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5193&p=34748#p34741
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

mlrolfe wrote: August 21st, 2020, 11:47 pm I am about five years in reading/learning NT Greek. I have the Nestle Greek 1904 Text and morphology in an excel file which I have looked at over time and analysized etc, with the goal of presenting the text with other related information, in a form which might be more conducive for reading in a group context. The amount of programing in using Excel and Access could go on and on and so this is the point of this post. Namely the “Logos 8 Academic Professional” currently on sale at 25% off, seems to be the only package of the four which includes DBAG. This package is far beyond my needs but for the price and compared to purchasing individual books, it looks to me, a good deal. I have only studied from books, so what is a digital form of DBAG like to use, compared with the book version. I am also interested to know if Logos permits file creation, and maybe in a format which could be read by Excel?
Thanks.
I have Logos 8 and it's really way more in some respects than I need, but it is super convenient. I originally got the free version back in Logos 4 days when they made the Perseus Classical texts available for free. Let me see...

1) Having any lexicon or similar resource available in digital format is highly convenient. Just looking up a word? Type in a few letters, you are given a list of options, and one of them is likely to be the right one.

2) Yes, BDAG is the default hyperlink for Greek texts. But you can change that, as I did since I am often not in the GNT but some other Greek text. Of course, when the sidebar is in "Info" mode you can hover over a Greek word and up pops the primary lexical entry and lots of other good information, including how it's rendered in various translations, particularly from the GNT. Be careful a bit using this feature with extra-biblical texts -- not all of them apparently are morph tagged, and Logos uses some kind of fuzzy logic algorithm for a best guess on the word. It doesn't always get it right, particularly for "odd" forms such as one might find in Homer and other interesting ancient texts.

3) You can get the core program for free, and a lot of texts for free, such as the SBLGNT. If you don't want to get an entire package, you can build your library a piece at a time, and save money in the short run. That's pretty much what I've done.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Mark Rolfe

Post by Mark Rolfe »

Thanks for all the comments.
I managed to lock myself out for two days because I got my email wrong when I updated it!!
I decided to bite the bullet and purchase Logos 8 standard plus DBAG. Having almost got over the shock of using this beast(logos 8), I think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. But I still have 26 days left to return it.
One feature I find encouraging is that logos seems to allow users to incorporate their own books which means a user could bring his own work into logos rather than taking files from logos and incorporating them into his own work.
Thanks
Garrett Tyson

Post by Garrett Tyson »

One of the nicest things about Logos (besides how fast you can search BDAG/Brill/Louw-Nida) is the way you can search for phrases.

Take John 1:51:

51 καὶ λέγει αὐτῷ· Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ὄψεσθε τὸν οὐρανὸν ἀνεῳγότα καὶ τοὺς ἀγγέλους τοῦ θεοῦ ἀναβαίνοντας καὶ καταβαίνοντας ἐπὶ τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου.

You can grab καταβαίνοντας ἐπὶ , right click, and search across Greek literature, including the LXX, to see what sense the verb+preposition has. Is Jesus a ladder that angels ascend and descend "upon" (many commentators)? Or are they descending "to/toward" him?

Genesis 24:45:

45 καὶ ἐγένετο πρὸ τοῦ συντελέσαι με λαλοῦντα ἐν τῇ διανοίᾳ μου, εὐθὺς Ῥεβέκκα ἐξεπορεύετο ἔχουσα τὴν ὑδρίαν ἐπὶ τῶν ὤμων, καὶ κατέβη ἐπὶ τὴν πηγὴν καὶ ὑδρεύσατο.

Numbers 11:9

καὶ ὅταν κατέβη ἡ δρόσος ἐπὶ τὴν παρεμβολὴν νυκτός, κατέβαινεν τὸ μάννα ἐπʼ αὐτῆς.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 8:41 am 3) You can get the core program for free, and a lot of texts for free, such as the SBLGNT. If you don't want to get an entire package, you can build your library a piece at a time, and save money in the short run. That's pretty much what I've done.
I think this is also a good way to save money in the long-run. For the most part, if you know what you want and wait for it to go on sale, it can be cheaper than buying the packages.

There are some good sales on lexicons right now ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”