A New Graded Greek Reader for Croy's Grammar

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Mark Jeong

A New Graded Greek Reader for Croy's Grammar

Post by Mark Jeong »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a new graded Greek reader I wrote for Eerdmans to accompany Clayton Croy's Primer of Biblical Greek. Here's the publisher's page: https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/7991/ ... eader.aspx

The book contains original narratives that (mostly) follow a continuous story of Paul, Onesimus, and Philemon. Each narrative aims to only include grammar and vocabulary that students have learned up to that point to facilitate easier reading. The left side includes only the Greek text and each facing page includes the vocabulary and grammar notes needed to read the story.

These stories grew out of narratives I wrote for my Greek students at Duke Divinity School. I started teaching with Croy, but became frustrated that students couldn't read from the beginning. These stories came out of two years of classroom instruction (and lots and lots of editing!). My students not only gained a lot through reading tons of Greek in their first year, but also found the stories fun and engaging. I tried to make the stories as idiomatic as possible for a graded reader using limited vocab/grammar. I know other graded readers exist that use authentic NT texts, but I always found that students had to do way too many dictionary look-ups, which defeated the purpose of a graded "reader." Hopefully you find these stories useful.

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”