Roman Period Koine pronunciation of ευ in πεπαίδευνται

Daniel Semler

Re: Roman Period Koine pronunciation of ευ in πεπαίδευνται

Post by Daniel Semler »

Paul-Nitz wrote: November 16th, 2019, 11:27 am πεπαίδευνται is a little tricky, but we do utter this combination in English:
seventy ˈsɛvnti
A bit off the point, but that final "t" in "seventy" is simply an unaspirated "t."
That's the way I take ντ combinations in Restored Koine,
I prefer to pronounce them with an unaspirated "t" rather than with an English "d."
It's easier to say and, to my ears, it sounds better.
This is basically the "event" example I gave above. I don't think though that it shows that we have this sound combination in English but rather the reverse. We have 'nt' for sure, but we don't have 'vnt'. We need a vowel sound of some kind between the v and n. Perhaps we get very close with the contraction "haven't".

It's really not the ντ combination that I'm at first concerned with but the 'ευν'. I'm happy with with either unaspirated-t or d - I think I've tended toward d for the most part in such combinations.

Thx
D
Daniel Semler

Re: Roman Period Koine pronunciation of ευ in πεπαίδευνται

Post by Daniel Semler »

RandallButh wrote: November 16th, 2019, 2:08 pm ναί.
l athough the 'n' would almost, but not quite, drop out of auditory recognition. If 'n' is part of εβn/ewn, then the 'n' is a light off-glide before the final syllable. This was its historical position. If 'n' is part of the final syllable then 'n' in 'nt' becomes either a lightly pronounced on-glide or a practical 'd'. If the 'n' were to be given syllabic status then the word would have changed to pepedéβ-n-tε, something that should be avoided. Stay with pεpέdεβn-tε where the unaspirated 't' probably sounds like a 'd' to English speakers or is even pronounced like a 'd'. Either unaspirated-t or d is good. ]
Thanx for this Randall. I think I'm hearing a hint of a vowel between βn in pεpέdεβn-tε. Is that what an off-glide would sound like ? I don't actually really know what glides are. I'll have to look them up. I think I can work with the d a little more easily than t at the end.

Thx
D

Return to “Pronunciation”