Peter Rabbit in Koine Greek

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Brent Niedergall

Re: Peter Rabbit in Koine Greek

Post by Brent Niedergall »

No way! Nice to meet one of the very few who purchased, and even enjoyed, our work. =) I wish there were more resources like this for students of NT Greek.
Brent Niedergall
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

jjmccollum wrote: September 4th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am I was hoping that the website would have some details, but alas! It will be interesting to see how they go about it. I personally would have mined Aesop's Fables for vocabulary and expressions.
It looks like James Tauber and Christoph Jasinski have started working on an annotated text of Aesop's Fables (https://github.com/jtauber/aesop), although I'm not sure how far along this is or when it's expected to be ready.
Links to various Greek (and Latin) texts may be found here. The fables have a rather complicated history, actually, but the Greek texts can provide a lot of fun extra-biblical Greek for those willing to attempt it.

http://mythfolklore.net/aesopica/
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Brent Niedergall wrote: September 4th, 2020, 12:48 pm Sure! We went for a formal equivalency to the degree our vocabulary constraints allowed (GNT and LXX vocab only). Glosses are provided as reader helps for all words occurring fewer than fifty times in the NT. And we made a concerted effort to use actual idiom and constructions found in our corpus and Koine use. (John Lee was invaluable here.) Here is an example (sans glosses). We versified the text for the sake of practicality.

Ὁ Μῦθος Πέτρου τοῦ Δασύποδος

(1) Ἦσάν ποτε τέσσαρες δασύποδες μικροί. καὶ τὰ ὀνόματα αὐτῶν ἦν—
Φλόψι
καὶ Μόψι
καὶ Ἐρίουρος
καὶ Πέτρος.

(2) Καὶ κατῴκησαν ἐν χώματι ἄμμου σὺν τῇ μητρὶ αὐτῶν ὑπὸ ῥίζαν ἐλάτης μεγάλης σφόδρα.
Interesting vocabulary choice. Why not the more common λαγώς?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Brent Niedergall wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:10 pm No way! Nice to meet one of the very few who purchased, and even enjoyed, our work. =) I wish there were more resources like this for students of NT Greek.
I have Μωχα και Μωρηδ - beastly children, meeting an equal end. I enjoyed it a lot - thanx for doing it - I was familiar with the stories before I read this. I look forward to Peter Rabbit when it's out.

I had been working on a Three Little Pigs but it has been put to one side for a while. I hope to pick it up again soon. I actually wanted to do the Little Engine That Could which has opportunities for rhythmic repetition in various places. I wasn't really ready though for the coining of various terms not in the 1st C lexicon or rhythm or meter in Greek, so I thought the 3 little pigs would be a better place for me to start. We'll see ...

Thx
D
Brent Niedergall

Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 5th, 2020, 8:36 am
Brent Niedergall wrote: September 4th, 2020, 12:48 pm Sure! We went for a formal equivalency to the degree our vocabulary constraints allowed (GNT and LXX vocab only). Glosses are provided as reader helps for all words occurring fewer than fifty times in the NT. And we made a concerted effort to use actual idiom and constructions found in our corpus and Koine use. (John Lee was invaluable here.) Here is an example (sans glosses). We versified the text for the sake of practicality.

Ὁ Μῦθος Πέτρου τοῦ Δασύποδος

(1) Ἦσάν ποτε τέσσαρες δασύποδες μικροί. καὶ τὰ ὀνόματα αὐτῶν ἦν—
Φλόψι
καὶ Μόψι
καὶ Ἐρίουρος
καὶ Πέτρος.

(2) Καὶ κατῴκησαν ἐν χώματι ἄμμου σὺν τῇ μητρὶ αὐτῶν ὑπὸ ῥίζαν ἐλάτης μεγάλης σφόδρα.
Interesting vocabulary choice. Why not the more common λαγώς?
Great question. We were constrained by our corpus (NT and LXX). The only LXX occurrence I see is a variant in Psalm 103:18. Do you know of any other occurrences?
Brent Niedergall
Brent Niedergall

Daniel Semler wrote: September 6th, 2020, 4:48 pm
Brent Niedergall wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:10 pm No way! Nice to meet one of the very few who purchased, and even enjoyed, our work. =) I wish there were more resources like this for students of NT Greek.
I have Μωχα και Μωρηδ - beastly children, meeting an equal end. I enjoyed it a lot - thanx for doing it - I was familiar with the stories before I read this. I look forward to Peter Rabbit when it's out.

I had been working on a Three Little Pigs but it has been put to one side for a while. I hope to pick it up again soon. I actually wanted to do the Little Engine That Could which has opportunities for rhythmic repetition in various places. I wasn't really ready though for the coining of various terms not in the 1st C lexicon or rhythm or meter in Greek, so I thought the 3 little pigs would be a better place for me to start. We'll see ...

Thx
D
Very cool! I would love to see the Three Little Pigs in Greek. Hope you can get back to it soon.
Brent Niedergall
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Hi Brent, Got my hard copy of this yesterday. Lots of fun - thanx.

Thx
D

Return to “Books”