Papias of Hierapolis Exposition of Dominical Oracles

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Papias of Hierapolis Exposition of Dominical Oracles

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

An upcoming one from our @Stephen Carlson ?
Including as it does contain some Greek texts, although I am not sure what the distribution of those is across koine-medieval etc

Papias of Hierapolis Exposition of Dominical Oracles: The Fragments, Testimonia, and Reception of a Second-Century Commentator
This work is the most complete edition of the remains of the lost five-volume work, Exposition of Dominical Oracles, by Papias of Hierapolis, a second-century Christian commentator. In all, some ninety-eight separate mentions of Papias and his work are documented, from the second century to the age of printing in the fifteenth century, both in their original language and in English translation. This body of evidence is scattered over fourteen centuries across fifty-seven different authors writing in five different languages (Greek, Latin, Syriac, Arabic, and Armenian). This edition adopts the distinction between his fragments proper, for what we know of his work, and the testimonia, for what we know of his reception. In addition to these, Stephen C. Carlson provides a list of potential citations of Papias, potential uses of Papias, and fragments falsely attributed to Papias. The volume features an extensive introduction treating the most important instances of reception of Papias and his work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Papias-Hierapo ... ks&sr=1-61
Stephen Carlson

Re: Papias of Hierapolis Exposition of Dominical Oracles

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Yep, that's me. Most of the material is medieval, but almost all of the valuable material is ancient or late ancient. The Eusebius testimony is Greek of course, as are the testimonies from Apollinaris of Laodicea, Andrew of Caesarea, John of Scythopolis, Photius, George the Monk, and many more. Irenaeus would be in Greek but his original language text is lost, but ancient translations into Latin and Armenian survive. In addition to the three or four Armenian items already known, I add a new one from the 12th century. There's also Syriac and Arabic. My edition includes an extensive amount of Latin testimonia (though they are largely derivative of Rufinus and Jerome) up through the end of the middle ages.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

I believe that this one is coming out on the 24th June - a plug for Dr Carlson’s book in case he doesn’t do it!
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Thanks. Not just Greek but Latin, Syriac, Armenian, and Arabic! (Had to get help with the last one.)
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

I am impressed that you didn’t need to for the others (especially Armenian and Syriac)!

Return to “Books”