Karleen - Phd Thesis on Phil 2:6 - το ειναι ισα θεω

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Karleen - Phd Thesis on Phil 2:6 - το ειναι ισα θεω

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

I generally avoid posting theses when I come across them in my google alerts feed, but one relevant for this group has just come out

https://corpus.ulaval.ca/jspui/bitstrea ... /37002.pdf

Part of the abstract states
To set the stage for the study of Phil 2:6, we consider the nature of the Greek of the New Testament in relation to wider Greek literature. Then we survey the major background questions necessary to an accurate understanding of the letter to the Philippians in its context. Third, we survey the state of research and English translation of τὸ εἶναι ἴσα θεῷ in Phil 2:6b.
These introductory chapters are followed first by an examination of the way that the Greek Fathers employed τὸ εἶναι ἴσα θεῷ during the second through fifth centuries. Second, the Greek word ἴσα is considered from morphological, syntactic, and semantic points of view with examples from the wider literature. Third, we examine an extenstive set of occurrences of ἴσα θεῷ/θεοῖς as a common collocation in Greek literature from Homer on down. Lastly, we apply the data of these areas to Phil 2:6-11 in the context of the letter.
Our conclusions confirm much of what was offered in the older secondary literature, while presenting a wider range of patristic and linguistic data than had been previously brought to bear on the question of the meaning of τὸ εἶναι ἴσα θεῷ.

Return to “Books”