Beekman - One or Two Translators? Translation Technique and Theology of LXX Proverbs and Its Relation to LXX Job

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Beekman - One or Two Translators? Translation Technique and Theology of LXX Proverbs and Its Relation to LXX Job

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Coming July
https://www.degruyter.com/document/isbn ... ml?lang=en
In 1946, Gillis Gerleman proposed a single translator for LXX Proverbs and LXX Job. After he launched this hypothesis, scholars have either confirmed or debunked this hypothesis. Although attempts have been made to come up with an adequate answer to the question of a single translator for both Proverbs and Job, scholars have, thus far, not reached consensus. Moreover, the attempts that have been made are not at all elaborate. Thus, the question remains unsolved.
This book tries to formulate an answer to the question of a single translator for both Proverbs and Job by examining the translation technique and theology of both books. The translation technique of both books is analysed by examining the Greek rendering of Hebrew hapax legomena, animal, floral, plant and herb names. The theology is examined by looking at the pluses in the LXX version which contain θεός and κύριος. The results of these studies are compared with one another in order to formulate an answer to a single translator. By doing so, this book not only formulates an answer to a single translator for both LXX Proverbs and Job but also characterises their translation technique and theology in greater detail.
Stephen Carlson

Re: Beekman - One or Two Translators? Translation Technique and Theology of LXX Proverbs and Its Relation to LXX Job

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Is that final “their” an actual plural (so two translation) or a singular “they” (so just one translator)?
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Beekman - One or Two Translators? Translation Technique and Theology of LXX Proverbs and Its Relation to LXX Job

Stephen Carlson wrote: February 10th, 2023, 3:53 am Is that final “their” an actual plural (so two translation) or a singular “they” (so just one translator)?
One of the curses of the English language, no way to tell. If I find a preview at some point I will update here - not a book I am likely to buy
Matthew Longhorn

I seem to have missed that this has been published

Return to “Books”