Dana Harris new beginning Greek introduction

Leonard Isaksson

Dana Harris new beginning Greek introduction

Post by Leonard Isaksson »

Prof. Harris has come out with a new beginning Greek book, with videos if you like, and workbook. This book addresses linguistic issues and accepts verbal aspect.

Anyone use this?
Matthew Friend

Re: Dana Harris new beginning Greek introduction

Post by Matthew Friend »

Hi Leonard:
I have a copy of the text in hardback and the workbook in Logos format. I've also watched 5 or so of the videos.
I've only read a few chapters so far. Do you have a specific question?

Here is my impression so far (as a person who took greek 20 years ago using Summer's grammar and forgot almost all of it before starting to relearn greek about a month ago).

First, I have all of the major "new" beginner grammars that have come out since Decker in 2014 (I have Mounce 4th, Decker, Danny Zacharias', Merkle/Plummer, and Schwant.

My first impressions are: Mounce and Merkle/Plummer's grammars would be easier for beginners.
Decker has a lot of detail, though he does explain it well.
Danny's grammar is basic in the sense that you will learn some greek, but it's mainly designed to get you proficient in using the Greek texts, etc. in Logos Bible software.

As a relative beginner I have found myself 1. Watching the free videos by Plummer on the chapter, then watching the video by Mounce, then reading the Plummer text (Beginning with New Testament Greek) first (they explain it well) before reading the same topic/chapter in Mounce.

Now your specific question: Dr. Harris seems like a very nice person. The format they used for the videos is pretty close to the same as they used for Mounce's videos (https://masterlectures.zondervanacademic.com/browse ) at Zondervan. They lecture alot. (I love the Plummer videos: he is funny, and spends all the video(s) showing on the screen what he is say. He is very easy to listen to). To be honest the videos I have tried to listen to for Dr. Harris have felt like she is reading every word from a script and I lose attention fast.

That brings me to her grammar: It contains a lot of material. It would make an excellent reference I think. To be honest though I could not imagine making it my main grammar to learn Greek. It is almost exactly the same size (dimensions) as the Mounce 4th edtion, but contains a lot more text it seems. If you are interested in seeing the videos that go with this text, you can get a free trial at Zondervan: (https://masterlectures.zondervanacademic.com/browse )

Now regarding the other statement you made "... and accepts verbal aspect". These newer grammars all accept verbal aspect. Dr. Harris falls into the Decker camp it seems: that there is no time element in the Indicative. The Mounce and the Merkle/Plummer texts also teach Verbal aspect and do a pretty good job. Both texts see some time element in the indicative only, but I think they (especially the Merkle/Plummer grammar) do a good job of emphasizing that Verbal Aspect is the most important and time is 'tiny' as Dr. Plummer likes to say.

The Plummer videos for his text are free on the books website and they are excellent regardless of which grammar you choose. The Mounce and Harris videos can be view for free with a trial at the zondervan link I gave above.

Oh, last thing: I have the Harris workbook in Logos format (it allows you to enter the answers into the actual book which is cool) but I don't think I'll be using it. For my level of greek, I'll likely just be using the Harris grammar as a reference... If you are looking for a grammar that is Verbal Aspect only (with no time element in the indicative) I found the Decker grammar to be much more readable....

Matthew
Matthew Friend
Nebraska, USA
M.Div AGTS, S.T.M - Liberty Seminary
Leonard Isaksson

Post by Leonard Isaksson »

Thank you for the informative reply. I had a year of Greek long ago, and I read best as I can, Im doing grammar review now. Your answer is quite full and informative. I sent off for the Harris book, however I am using the Schwandt book, and I am enjoying that well written book. I like that he prominently employs what he calls a restored koine accent. I get hung up on this matter of accents. I would like it if I could speak modern Greek, there are dialects today. Spiros Zodhiates has some materials I had a tape of him but somehow in moving that is missinsg.

I too, much enjoy the Plummer videos, he is warm and seems humble and helpful, a kind spirit that is a gift to the Earth.

Thanks
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Leonard Isaksson wrote: December 29th, 2020, 11:01 am Thank you for the informative reply. I had a year of Greek long ago, and I read best as I can, Im doing grammar review now. Your answer is quite full and informative. I sent off for the Harris book, however I am using the Schwandt book, and I am enjoying that well written book. I like that he prominently employs what he calls a restored koine accent. I get hung up on this matter of accents. I would like it if I could speak modern Greek, there are dialects today. Spiros Zodhiates has some materials I had a tape of him but somehow in moving that is missinsg.

I too, much enjoy the Plummer videos, he is warm and seems humble and helpful, a kind spirit that is a gift to the Earth.

Thanks
If you download You Version and pick the Byzantine 1904 version you can download really good audio, which you can play at various speeds while you read.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Grammars”