Books on Greek Idioms

jcooper93

Books on Greek Idioms

Post by jcooper93 »

I am not sure if this is the exact category to put this question under but....

what are some good books that look specifically at idioms in Greek?
Charlie Johnson

Re: Books on Greek Idioms

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Theory of Advanced Greek Prose Composition by John Donovan, Volume 1, includes a digest of Greek idioms. I believe it's available online. I have a PDF file of it.
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

jcooper93 wrote:I am not sure if this is the exact category to put this question under but....

what are some good books that look specifically at idioms in Greek?
When you say "idioms" are you thinking figures of speech? Because there a number of books like Moule's An Idiom book of the Greek New Testament, which is more of a brief grammar that only covers a select number of grammatical topics.

If you're looking more for figures of speech like idioms, Louw & Nida's lexicon regularly provides "lexical" entries for phrases that have specific meanings that cannot be derives directly from the sum of their parts.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Charlie Johnson wrote:Theory of Advanced Greek Prose Composition by John Donovan, Volume 1, includes a digest of Greek idioms. I believe it's available online. I have a PDF file of it.
For the interested reader: http://www.archive.org/details/theoryof ... 11donouoft
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Anybody here familiar with Stanley Porter's book on Greek idioms? Do you think it would be worth buying? I've heard of it but haven't seen it, and would like to have some idea of its value.

Having been a student and teacher of modern languages (Spanish and French as teacher, German as student), I'd like to get a work on Greek idioms that groups them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically rather than by grammatical category as Moule's work does (which I have, and consider useful despite that limitation). Idiom books for French, Spanish, and German I have group them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically. Along the same line, if anybody knows of existing materials for learning Biblical Hebrew idioms, I'd be grateful for information on that, too. :)

Devenios Doulenios
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Devenios Doulenios wrote:Anybody here familiar with Stanley Porter's book on Greek idioms? Do you think it would be worth buying? I've heard of it but haven't seen it, and would like to have some idea of its value.

Having been a student and teacher of modern languages (Spanish and French as teacher, German as student), I'd like to get a work on Greek idioms that groups them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically rather than by grammatical category as Moule's work does (which I have, and consider useful despite that limitation). Idiom books for French, Spanish, and German I have group them either by frequency, topically, or alphabetically. Along the same line, if anybody knows of existing materials for learning Biblical Hebrew idioms, I'd be grateful for information on that, too. :)
Porter's book is an intermediate grammar, so it's not an "idiom book." It probably best viewed as a competitor with Wallce's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, though they approach grammar very differently. Porter's book is even less of an idiom book than Moule's.

There is no idiom of the kind that you're looking for--at least not that I'm aware of (and I like to think that I'm generally quite bibliographically aware...). Again, I would recommend Louw & Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains. They provide extensive lexical entries from idiomatic constructions and figures of speech. That's the closest you're going to get, as far as I know.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
idioms

Post by idioms »

An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek 2nd Edition
by C. F. D. Moule (Author)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome to B-Greek! I assume 'idioms' is not your real name - I let this slip through, but please follow instructions here to change your user name: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vie ... ?f=38&t=90

I'll delete this post at that time.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

What are you really looking for? Phrases like κατʼ ἴδιαν = 'privately, by themselves, in private'? οἱ ἴδιοι ʼassociates, relations'; τὰ ἴδια ʼhome, possessions'? Is it that sort of content you are looking for? If you want to go forward on this post, you will have to change your username to your real name.

Return to “Grammars”