New edition of Athenaze.

Jeremy Adams

New edition of Athenaze.

Post by Jeremy Adams »

A third edition of Athenaze is coming out November 14th, you can check it out on Amazon. Does anyone know much about it? I am currently in a traditional seminary intro Greek course and I have been considering working through an Attic book over the summer before moving to the intermediate course, with the aim to improve my sight reading speed and internalize forms better (any feedback on that plan or other suggestions would be great). I was planning to use the JACT set as I have looked at it and the current edition of Athenaze and liked it better but I am wondering how much of that might change with the new Athenaze book. Just curious what folks here think.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: New edition of Athenaze.

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I think you are going to have to wait until Nov 14 to find out. You can always find the second edition if the third for some reason becomes unsuitable. As for textbook as it stands, one of its strengths is the readings. They are long and give the student a lot of reading practice. That's also the reason I didn't use it as the main text for my classes -- I thought it would take too long to get through it, but it worked fine as a supplement.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Mark Murphree

Re: New edition of Athenaze.

Post by Mark Murphree »

Details are here and the PDF of the TOC is here.

New to this Edition:

A sharper, more engaging design and additional illustrations, including color spreads in each volume highlighting Greek art and culture
Streamlined and improved grammatical explanations
A more user-friendly approach, more easily adaptable to a number of teaching and learning styles
Updated historical-context sections with increased support in the revised Instructor's Resource Manual
New Student Workbooks for Books I and II that include self-correcting exercises, cumulative vocabulary lists, periodic grammatical reviews, and additional readings
An Ancillary Resource Center that contains Instructor's Resource Manuals and Power Point slides
A Companion Website that provides students with additional exercises and grammar review
A supplement with cases laid out in the UK and Australian order to facilitate use in those countries
In other words, it looks like more of the same; if you were hoping for an adaptation of the Italian Athenaze, you'll be disappointed.
Dr. Mark Murphree
Assistant Professor of English and Theology, Toccoa Falls College
Ph.D., Biblical Interpretation and Theology, Evangel University
M.A., English Literature, University of Georgia

Return to “Grammars”