Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Köstenberger, et al.

Thomas Dolhanty

Re: Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Köstenberger, et

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
David Fish wrote: One of the things we have noted in our graduates who have gone on to a number of different seminaries is that, though they might not have mastered all of Daniel Wallace's categories, they can read Greek.

That's my 2 cents worth. Now I will slide back into my hole of obscurity.

I read this forum every day, but have posted very little. I appreciate you all.
Please don't slide back. It's great to hear from you.

Secondly, if your students can read Greek, that's what counts. It's like a wedding. A lot of things can go wrong. A bridesmaid can step on the bride's train. The preacher can say the vows wrong. A small child can throw up in the pew. But if the couple walks away married, it's a success!
Amen! Y'all come back now, David! B-Greek will be richer with your voice.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

David Fish wrote:The book is out May 1, and I have to report textbooks for the fall semester next month. I contacted him, and he put me in contact with the publisher. I received an advance copy (PDF) from Broadman & Holman, so that I could make a decision. I am hopeful that it will good for students.
What I was hoping that the textbook was, was that a passage of Greek would be explained for the structure of its arguments - the relationship between its clauses, the high and low points of the flow of the argument, and what style of rhetoric was being used. That seems to me to be a deeper level of understanding of Greek, and not quite exegesis.

Is there anything like that in the chapters beyond the second that we've seen in the preview from the publisher?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Stephen,

What you are looking for is Steve Runge's Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis (http://www.hendrickson.com/html/product ... trade.html). He has a good bibliography, too, if you want to chase it further.

Also, keep your eyes open for The Greek Verb Revisited (http://www.lexhampress.com/products/the ... -revisited), which contains a foreword by Köstenberger, saying that he went back and rewrote parts of his forthcoming book based on the information he learned from Runge's Discourse Grammar.

There are also some good chapters in the Greek Verb book that you won't want to miss...

HTH,
James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

James Spinti wrote:Stephen,

What you are looking for is Steve Runge's Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis (http://www.hendrickson.com/html/product ... trade.html). He has a good bibliography, too, if you want to chase it further.

Also, keep your eyes open for The Greek Verb Revisited (http://www.lexhampress.com/products/the ... -revisited), which contains a foreword by Köstenberger, saying that he went back and rewrote parts of his forthcoming book based on the information he learned from Runge's Discourse Grammar.

There are also some good chapters in the Greek Verb book that you won't want to miss...

HTH,
James
James, I'm eager to see the Greek Verb Revisited book; can you tell us whether the Köstenberger book takes on recent perspectives on verbal voice?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Sorry, Carl, I can't. I've only seen the foreword to the Greek Verb volume. He says in there that he rewrote parts of his forthcoming book on the basis of interactions with Steve Runge, Randall Buth, et al., who hold to aspect + time in the indicative.

Just enough to make me want to see the book : (

James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

James Spinti wrote:What you are looking for is Steve Runge's Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis (http://www.hendrickson.com/html/product ... trade.html). He has a good bibliography, too, if you want to chase it further.
After seeing people talk about "exegesis" here a while now, I have a really basic question to ask... What is the non tongue-in-cheek / non goading definition of "exegesis"?
James Spinti wrote:Also, keep your eyes open for The Greek Verb Revisited (http://www.lexhampress.com/products/the ... -revisited), which contains a foreword by Köstenberger, saying that he went back and rewrote parts of his forthcoming book based on the information he learned from Runge's Discourse Grammar.
That looks interesting. Is this being based on that conference that was being discussed the middle of last year? The Cambridge Greek Verb Conference
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Yes. It is the proceedings volume, which should be out late spring/early summer, I think. But definitely by fall.

James
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Stephen Hughes wrote: After seeing people talk about "exegesis" here a while now, I have a really basic question to ask... What is the non tongue-in-cheek / non goading definition of "exegesis"?
As you can guess there's no single definition accepted by all. I would say it's searching for the original meaning of the text, i.e. how the writer and the first readers (speaker and the first hearers) understood the text. The quest includes the specific historical situation, general historical, cultural, religious and social background, language, literary genre, literary conventions, rhetorical devices etc.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Standard online definitions of exegesis include: "critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture." The key term here is critical, which can be defined as "incorporating a detailed and scholarly analysis and commentary." The focus is on rigor, appeal to reason and publicly available evidence, with the avoidance of subjective and private sources of belief.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote: After seeing people talk about "exegesis" here a while now, I have a really basic question to ask... What is the non tongue-in-cheek / non goading definition of "exegesis"?
As you can guess there's no single definition accepted by all. I would say it's searching for the original meaning of the text, i.e. how the writer and the first readers (speaker and the first hearers) understood the text. The quest includes the specific historical situation, general historical, cultural, religious and social background, language, literary genre, literary conventions, rhetorical devices etc.
Stephen Carlson wrote:Standard online definitions of exegesis include: "critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture." The key term here is critical, which can be defined as "incorporating a detailed and scholarly analysis and commentary." The focus is on rigor, appeal to reason and publicly available evidence, with the avoidance of subjective and private sources of belief.
I'm guessing that in one sense there is a continuum of exegetical models moving across the page from those who would interpret the text as literature in its various genres (without divine intervention) to those who see the text as divinely inspired (with less or no emphasis on its literary value). If that assumption is correct, then from the sample chapter it would seem that "Going deeper ..." might be located in the region beyond (to the right of) centre.

Return to “Grammars”