The Greek Verb Revisited

Mitch Tulloch

The Greek Verb Revisited

Post by Mitch Tulloch »

Just received a copy in the mail and going to begin reading it. What's the consensus here concerning the value of this book? Anything to watch out for or be aware of before reading it? Thanks in advance :-)

Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: The Greek Verb Revisited

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Mitch Tulloch wrote: November 6th, 2017, 4:08 pm Just received a copy in the mail and going to begin reading it. What's the consensus here concerning the value of this book? Anything to watch out for or be aware of before reading it? Thanks in advance :-)

Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
You will not find a consensus on that topic. I read the book earlier this year. Several of the players on participants in this forum. The book is worth reading but doesn't really settle the squabbles that have been going on for several decades.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

The purpose of the conference and the papers in the book was to reset the discussion on the Greek verbs in a reliable and positive direction, not to point out or harp on the errors in the squabbles. Nevertheless, if you read the articles carefully, you will find a consensus that affirms and demonstrates tense within the Greek indicative system and deals with other facets of the verb in linguistically coherent manners.

The book, although not an introduction for beginning students, deals with frameworks from where students interested in Greek and linguistics should be starting from rather than something like Campbell's work, currently discussed in another thread.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I definitely recommend it, as my blurb on the book's back states.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

I'll speak the quality of the chapters that are not mine. I think they're all of a high caliber.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Grammars”