Monographs on Greek Conjunctions ?

Peter Streitenberger

Monographs on Greek Conjunctions ?

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear Friends,
could anyone recommend a book on Greek Conjunctions ? I'd be interested in the book "Temporal and Causal Conjunctions in Ancient Greek" by A. Rijksbaron, but that's far too expensive ($374, used). I've heard that Randall Buth has something on that issue ? Any suggestions are welcome !
Yours
Peter, Germany
Stephen Carlson

Re: Monographs on Greek Conjunctions ?

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I recommend Stephanie L. Black, Sentence Conjunctions in the Gospel of Matthew: καί, δέ, τότε, γάρ, οὖν and Asyndeton in Narrative Discourse (JSNTSS 216; SNTG 9; Sheffield, 2002).
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Stephen,
thank you - a great book - I've read it already. My concern is just to have such a work for *all* conjunctions, a monograph prefered.
I appreciate your answer, as it could have been that I have *not* readt it, but so I can underline your recommendation.
Any more hints ?
Yours
Peter
RickBrannan

Post by RickBrannan »

Denniston's "The Greek Particles" is a good reference; focused on classical stuff. More of a catalogue than a discussion/examination, though. That said, I have benefitted from it, particularly in its treatment of αλλα.

Runge's "Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament" has a good discussion on conjunctions in chapter two.

Heckert, "Discourse Function of Conjoiners in the Pastoral Epistles" is a good treatment of the function of the most common conjunctions in the Pastorals; the work applies well outside of the Pastorals as well.

Levinsohn, Stephen H., "Discourse Features of NT Greek" provides more information on the framework that both Runge and Heckert use, but it can be tough slogging. Also note Levinsohn's "Textual Connections in Acts".

Hope it helps. At the get-go, I'd say Runge and Heckert provide the most practical information; Denniston is useful but more like a reference grammar is useful.
Rick Brannan
Information Architect, Greek Databases
Logos Bible Software
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Yeah, a monograph on the conjunctions that Black did not treat is a desideratum for me.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Friends,
Runge/Levinsohn is in already in my possesion - I like both, but I just ordered the book on "Greek Particles" as reverence work. Heckert is not available at Amazon, I have to ask my bookstore to get it for me, if possible. But the content seems to be very limited to the most famous conjuntions. I hope Denniston discusses them all. So thank you, Rick !

What about you, Stephen ? Such a monograph would indeed be necessary for us all, a needful task - nothing for you ?
Yours
Peter
Peter Streitenberger

Hello,
there is a nice discussion of ALLA:
http://www.supakoo.com/rick/papers/ALLA ... 202008.pdf
Such a Treatment would be nice for *all* conjuntions......
Rick, is that you ? If so, thanks for providing it online for free....
Yours
Peter
RickBrannan

Post by RickBrannan »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:Hello,
there is a nice discussion of ALLA
Peter Streitenberger wrote:Rick, is that you ? If so, thanks for providing it online for free....
Hi Peter.

Yes, that is me. Thanks for the kind words about the article on αλλα. A form of it was published in Discourse Studies and Biblical Interpretation: A Festschrift in Honor of Stephen H. Levinsohn, edited by Steven E. Runge (available on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Discourse-Studies ... 1577995201). Randall Buth has an article on connectives in Luke in the same volume, though I don't recall much else specifically about conjunctions in that book.
Rick Brannan
Information Architect, Greek Databases
Logos Bible Software
Peter Streitenberger

Hello Rick,

I obtained the Levinsohn-Festschrift some months ago. Very good essays in it. I only don't know if the view of Campbell on the Greek Perfect is right. I really don't know, but maybe I don't understand everything. All other essays are interesting and I agree with it.
Then I recommend the Logos-Runge NT, definetly a *must have*, a combination with his discourse Grammar is recommended.
Yours
Peter, Germany
John Kendall

Post by John Kendall »

Readers of this thread may like to know that the precursor of Stephanie Black's monograph is is freely available in PDF format via the British Library's EThOS service here: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?did= ... hos.322462. You need to create an account to log in, but there is no charge.

As regards other connectives, Stephen Levinsohn has an essay on ὅτι in Porter and O'Donnell, The Linguist as Pedagogue and a paper on inferentials at: http://www-01.sil.org/~levinsohns/InferentialsPaper.pdf.

Margaret Sim's Edinburgh PhD thesis on ἵνα can be found here: http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/1395.

Though it's now rather dated, Margaret Thrall's Greek Particles in the New Testament may be of some use and the discussions in the older grammars are always worth consulting.

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

Return to “Other”