Handy GNT for travelling

Jonathan Robie

Handy GNT for travelling

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I have an black leather GNT from the British and Foreign Bible Society, published in 1929, that is compact and very readable, with nice fonts. But it would be hard to replace, so I don't take it on business trips.

I'd like something much like it, but more easily replaced, to take on trips.

Any suggestions? I don't need apparatus or a translation for this purpose.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Mark Lightman

Re: Handy GNT for travelling

Post by Mark Lightman »

χαῖρε Ιωνατον

The Triniterian Bible Society publishes a nice "calf skin" (read fake leather) edition of the Textus Receptus. It is small, thin, lightweight, but still has a decent sized font. It comes with a ribbon and feels good in your hand.

http://www.tbsbibles.org/shop.php?sess= ... eCc%2FYnY4

You can get the same edition in a hard cover for the ridiculously low price of $10.00.

For me though, nothing beats the portability of Zondervan's Reader's Greek New Testament. You can fold it up and it will fit in your back pocket. Even though I don't use the glosses anymore, this is still the Greek NT that I use the most.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

If you have anything resembling a late model smart phone, Olive Tree has the GNT for a reasonable price. I now carry my GNT plus several translations with me all the time... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Lee Moses

Post by Lee Moses »

Mark Lightman wrote:The Triniterian Bible Society publishes a nice "calf skin" (read fake leather) edition of the Textus Receptus.
Mark, I don't think that's correct. Calfskin is generally considered one of the best and most durable leathers with which one can bind a Bible.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

By happy fortuity, Professor Randy Leedy of Bob Jones University has just asked us to repost a notice regarding precisely the sort of "handy GNT for travelling" about which Jonathan has asked. I cite it here without further comment.
This message recycles a post from November, 2010. I'm thinking that there may be some new forum members who would value it.

After visiting Greece recently, I arranged to import some shirt-pocket-sized Greek NTs and also some slightly larger, but still vest-pocket sized. These are smaller than anything I'm aware has been for sale in the U.S. for a good many years. The small one, by the way, is not for the visually challenged, but the excellent clarity of its type renders it highly adequate for the great majority of readers.

The Campus Store at Bob Jones University has these GNTs available on its website. Availability is limited, and whether these will become a regular stock item has not yet been determined. As a matter of disclosure, I am not a BJU Bookstore employee, nor do I personally profit to any significant extent from the sale of these Greek NTs. I have troubled myself over these Greek NTs as a matter of service to those who desire a very small print copy of the volume we love and have hitherto been unable to find one.

The web site is http://www.bjucampusstore.com/ePOS?t...total_count=19

The text is the Patriarchal Text of 1904 as used in Greek Orthodoxy, a Byzantine-type text drawn from the manuscripts at Mount Athos. BibleWorks users, by the way, will find this text available within the program as the GOC version.

Blessings in Christ! (Acts 3:26),

Randy Leedy
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

I bought this little pocket edition from the Bob Jones University bookstore immediately when I saw the first notice here on b-greek. It has been my constant companion ever since....
Wayne Kirk

Post by Wayne Kirk »

Like everyone else, I'd like to have a very portable Greek testament for traveling. I was hoping that the BJU bookstore would have a photo of the inside of the book so that I could see how it's laid out. Is there a textual apparatus or other footnotes? Are there any section headings? What about the font, it isn't italics or anything is it? I'd certainly appreciate it if someone who owns one of these handy testaments could post a picture someone showing the layout of the text.

Thanks,

Wayne Kirk
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

no apparatus, no sections, just chapter numbers (in greek). iI'll try to figure out a way to scan or photograph a page and post it here, unless someone beats me to it...
Wayne Kirk

Post by Wayne Kirk »

Susan,

Don't worry about an image. I don't really need an apparatus anyway. That would only add bulk to the volume and reduce portability. As long the font is readable, that's all I really need.

Kindly,

Wayne Kirk
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

The font is somewhat different from what I'm used to, but quite clear and readable.

Return to “Other”