Slavonic - online text editor for Ancient Greek

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Alexey Gubanov

Slavonic - online text editor for Ancient Greek

Post by Alexey Gubanov »

Good time!
I'm working on creating a text editor that can deel with politonic greek. To do this, I had to start learning Ancient Greek. So I'm new in Greek, but not in programming :). I've got some great ideas on editing text with diacritics. First I made the editor for the Russian Church Slavonic language, which is much more difficult to enter than the Greek. After that I decided to use the same technology for koine. Here is the demoversion you can use:

http://slavonicpro.ru/polytonicEn.html.

Welcome!
Alexey Gubanov
Jonathan Robie

Re: Slavonic - online text editor for Ancient Greek

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Cool - can you tell us more about your approach to diacritics?

Welcome to B-Greek, by the way.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

It is certainly more easier, intuitive and straightforward to type characters with multiple diacritics like ᾗ using your editor than remembering the right-alt and shift key combinations on a window's keyboard. Those are characters that I usually have to go back to Word and insert them into a word document after looking them up in the list (or go to a part of the New Testament where I know they are found) and then copying and pasting them into B-Greek. :?

Using your input method for characters with diacritics, is still not as simple as writing on paper, but would cut out so many steps for me for those most complex characters.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Alexey Gubanov

Post by Alexey Gubanov »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Cool - can you tell us more about your approach to diacritics?
Sure. I wrote detailed instructions on the demo site http://slavonicpro.ru/polytonicEn.html. One can find them on the left (section "Quick input without dictionary") and right (section "Quick input with dictionary") of the editor.

The basic principle - to allow the user to input diacritics and non-standard characters without memorizing complex keyboard combinations ("Quick input without dictionary"). The basic alphabet of a language is all you need. All numerous variants of diacritical characters are entered by pressing again the basic key.

The second principle - to offer the list of candidates ("Quick input with dictionary"). This method allows the user to input words without diacritics and even with some errors and to select the right candidate from the list.
Alexey Gubanov
Alexey Gubanov

Post by Alexey Gubanov »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Using your input method for characters with diacritics, is still not as simple as writing on paper, but would cut out so many steps for me for those most complex characters.
Thank you for feedback, Stephen. I hope that the advantage of the writing on paper is only temporary. :)
Alexey Gubanov
mahasacham

Post by mahasacham »

I love the slavonic app. I use it to type up pdf documents that OCR can not recognize. I was wondering where you got you repository of word matches for quick entry drop down. Does Perseus provide an api for that?
Alexey Gubanov

Post by Alexey Gubanov »

mahasacham wrote:I love the slavonic app. I use it to type up pdf documents that OCR can not recognize. I was wondering where you got you repository of word matches for quick entry drop down. Does Perseus provide an api for that?
You welcome! Perseus doesn't provide such api, but Slavonic does.
Alexey Gubanov
Alexey Gubanov

Post by Alexey Gubanov »

Hello! The windows desktop version of Slavonic (the editor of the Ancient Greek and Church Slavonic languages) has been released. Wellcome for download.
http://slavonicpro.ru/download.html
Alexey Gubanov

Return to “Software”