AGK Ancient Greek Keyboard for android

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Skin1989

AGK Ancient Greek Keyboard for android

Post by Skin1989 »

Hi guys, I developed an Ancient Greek Keyboard for Android...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ekkeyboard

If you'd like to test I can send some free codes!

Have a nice day!
Stephen Hughes

Re: AGK Ancient Greek Keyboard for android

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Thank you for creating this Paolo!

Diacritics are accessed by long-pressing the letters then selecting. Much easier than cutting and pasting, and besides, it can be used off-line. The only draw-back perhaps is that there is not much curl on the breathings, so there is a bit of think and think again, when selecting between the spiritus asper / grave and lenis / acute respectively, and more so in the iota adscript capital letter combinations. The breve and macron are only available uncombined - I think that that is enough for most usages (especially in NT studies). Notably, however, the high-point is missing from the punctuation set.

Additionally, for a WYSIWYG input method, there is a major inconsistency. The capital letters of long and possibly long vowels offer some combinations that are only available in miniscule in the Greek Extended character set. Selecting them on the keyboard returns the miniscule form of the letters. Perhaps during the development process, the table for the miniscule iota subscript characters was cut and pasted to form the table for the capital letters. I think that the data table for the capital letters of the long and possibly long letters needs to be truncated by about 4 rows.

There are no spell-checking or predicative input features in the version I looked at either.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Does this do things that the Greek Polytonic keyboard for Android does not?

After years of frustration, I'm happily using polytonic Greek on my Android tablet and phone now.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Does this do things that the Greek Polytonic keyboard for Android does not?
Jonathan, are you talking about this online utility;
https://www.branah.com/greekpolytonic ?
Jonathan Robie wrote:After years of frustration, I'm happily using polytonic Greek on my Android tablet and phone now.
This is the first time that I've been able to use a keyboard to enter polytonic Greek on my device. My writing in Greek for the most part has relied on cutting and pasting polytonic letters into words, and a few other similar strategies. I think this APP will improve efficiency.

I'm interested to see how this APP works on my smartphone that doesn't display polytonic Greek, except for Katabiblon, which I assume downloads a polytonic font with the webpage.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

DOH. I should have checked before posting. Android now displays polytonic Greek well, but the keyboard still does only modern Greek. Sorry for the confusion!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Additionally to my initial comments, U+03AC (ά) etc. can be entered, but U+1F71 (ά) etc. can not be.
GarryJoshi

Post by GarryJoshi »

@Skin1989, can you please update this to support Android Oreo? It was working fine when my Note 8 was running Android Nougat but after OS update the keyboard isn't working at all :/
GarryJoshi

Post by GarryJoshi »

GarryJoshi wrote: February 14th, 2018, 5:43 am @Skin1989, can you please update this to support Android Oreo? It was working fine when my Note 8 was running Android Nougat but after OS update the keyboard isn't working at all :/
Just an update real quick: On uninstalling and reinstalling the AGK app is working just fine once again :)

Garry Joshi
Skin1989

Post by Skin1989 »

I have approved this, but before allowing any more messages, we need to have your screen name match your actual name. Please contact a moderator to do this. -- BH

Hi guys, let me share some codes to install my keyboard for free:

0HZXBY06UNWXX0RC33SZ430
MAV00DKZQ49XTE1UB7FTGBK
WV8QG96Y3EW3R8UAA2CWAT7
2MN49T851PHW8Y43XD7UY6C
GDW8KKPLR2EQ6CLTFFCF4HX
A8BMURLZE76M67TEGGFXLNS
5YJHBT87HFUXMFAUF4Z1JZZ
T62LPVDG8WJNHV8VVKBKW9F
RLT09PD302KBEPSGM2A8ZFX
L354NX9XVETWCY8S6WRLCBV

Have a nice day!
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Skin1989 wrote: March 12th, 2018, 6:05 am Hi guys, let me share some codes to install my keyboard for free:

0HZXBY06UNWXX0RC33SZ430
MAV00DKZQ49XTE1UB7FTGBK
WV8QG96Y3EW3R8UAA2CWAT7
2MN49T851PHW8Y43XD7UY6C
GDW8KKPLR2EQ6CLTFFCF4HX
A8BMURLZE76M67TEGGFXLNS
5YJHBT87HFUXMFAUF4Z1JZZ
T62LPVDG8WJNHV8VVKBKW9F
RLT09PD302KBEPSGM2A8ZFX
L354NX9XVETWCY8S6WRLCBV

Have a nice day!
I paid the few dollars for your Greek keyboard a while back, and I really like it. I haven't figured out how to use diaeresis, though. Can you tell me how to type ϊ, and ΐ? If it had those marks, it would be perfect. I cannot type πρωΐ on your keyboard, for example.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Software”