Linux GNT Lemma Search

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Jonathan Robie wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 6:24 pm
Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 5:49 pm Hmm, doesn't "offline" mean "without network access"? That's what installable Bible software does. Websites are for online access, right?
Right. I think some of the websites are better than the free installable Bible software for this particular task. Then again, if he is comfortable with the shell, so is working with the data and an XPath processor, as I mentioned earlier.
Heh, I misunderstood your comment. But anyways, after a long time I looked into BibleTime. I installed MorphGNT module. If you want to see Strong's definitions and morphology explanations you have to install some extra modules (English->Dictionaries->Strong's, Packard, Robinson). The Mag view shows the lemma when you hover over a word in the text with the mouse. Copy it from there and go to Search. Select Free search option. Type strong:<lemma>, e.g. strong:Χριστός and do the search. Not the most intuitive, but it works.
tdbenedict

Re: Linux GNT Lemma Search

Post by tdbenedict »

Thanks everybody. I was able to use Xiphos off of crosswire to do lemma searches from Strongs numbers. A little clunky, but it works. For some reason, I had trouble installing BibleTime.

A really nice app would be the STEP bible app from Tyndale house. It is downloadable (windows and mac), and if you look around there is a Linux development version. But I think there is a Java problem and I can't get it working. STEP has a beautiful looking interface and a nice lemma search.

Thanks Again
Tim Benedict

Return to “Software”