Abbott-Smith, Dodson in Alpheios Reading Tools for Firefox

Jonathan Robie

Abbott-Smith, Dodson in Alpheios Reading Tools for Firefox

Post by Jonathan Robie »

To support New Testament Greek, the Dobson and Abbot Smith lexicons are now available on the alpheios.net site, in addition to Liddell-Scott-Jones for Classical Greek and Authenrieth for Homeric Greek.

Alpheios is a great tool for reading Greek on any Web page, with morphological parsing, lexicons, online grammars, tree diagramming, and other useful tools. If you can see Greek text on a web page, you can use it with Alpheios. We have discussed it previously in this B-Greek thread:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/test/foru ... ?f=30&t=82

Alpheios requires Firefox. It does not run on other browsers, but it runs fine on Windows, Mac, or Linux. Download Alpheios by clicking the 'Alpheios Greek and Latin Tools' button on:

http://alpheios.net/content/installation

and following the instructions on that page.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Paul-Nitz

Re: Abbott-Smith, Dodson in Alpheios Reading Tools for Firef

Post by Paul-Nitz »

What I could really use for my students here is a digital Abbott Smith that worked well offline.

That would take...

a hyperlink list at the top:
ἄλφα-Ἀβραάμ [hyperlink to page 1]
ἄ-βυσσος-ἅγιος [hyperlink to page 2] etc.

Internal hyperlinks:
1x] **† ἁγιότης, -ητος, ἡ (< ἅγιος), [in LXX: II Mac 15:2 * ;]
[hyperlink to the ἅγιος entry]

And hyperlinks to an offline diglot of Greek and English NT for each Bible reference.

Is this a piece of cake, or unrealistically time consuming?
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Paul-Nitz wrote:What I could really use for my students here is a digital Abbott Smith that worked well offline.

That would take...

a hyperlink list at the top:
ἄλφα-Ἀβραάμ [hyperlink to page 1]
ἄ-βυσσος-ἅγιος [hyperlink to page 2] etc.

Internal hyperlinks:
1x] **† ἁγιότης, -ητος, ἡ (< ἅγιος), [in LXX: II Mac 15:2 * ;]
[hyperlink to the ἅγιος entry]

And hyperlinks to an offline diglot of Greek and English NT for each Bible reference.

Is this a piece of cake, or unrealistically time consuming?
Paul,
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you need, but have you looked at TheWord software, which is free and which comes with the Abbott-Smith lexicon - and a whole lot more?
(http://www.theword.net/)
γράφω μαθεῖν
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Paul-Nitz wrote: Is this a piece of cake, or unrealistically time consuming?
Somewhere in between. It's very realistically time consuming, but it's not something I have time for right now. If nobody else does this, I'm likely to some day.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

THANK YOU!
"The Word" works very nicely.
It's a free, simple, basic, offline reader.

"The Word" looks like it will be perfect for anyone who wants a few basic digital tools for reading Greek, has a computer, but does not have reliable (or cheap) Internet access.

Click on a word and get a definition from Abbott-Smith.
Scroll over any Bible reference in Abbott-Smith and see it in either Greek or English.
Scroll over any abbreviation or referenced work in Abbott Smith and see an explanation.
See Greek and and an English translation side-by-side (linked scrolling).

For the rare person who would need a simple offline reader, I'll make some notes on my installation experience:

The whole installation and set up took me only an hour.
The whole installation was only 350MB. The downloads are light.
An option during set up is to put it on a flashdrive. It's easy and works fine.
The entire installation and customization can be copied wholesale to another flashdrive.

During installation, by default it will load about ten "add-ons." I wasn't interested in any of them and unchecked them. I downloaded and loaded only a few add-ons: SBL, WHNU, LEB, and AMGL.

• SBL = new Greek text from Society for Biblical Literature
    LEB = Lexham literal translation.
    AMGL = Abbott-Smith, an old, but good, basic New Testament Greek dictionary. Within the definition, many links are given to other places in the NT where the word is used.
    WHNU = Wescott-Hort = Greek text (no accents, old version, but tagged)

I found that I could not consistently click and get a definition using SBL. I installed WHNU with Strong's numbers and parsing as a work-around. I set up the windows to show SBL on one pane and WHNU on another. This works fine. Using WHNU alone is not an option. The inline numbers make it impossible to read properly and the Greek text has no accents.

Linking in THE WORD works by pane, not by book. You need to link from pane A to pane B and again from pane B to pane A.

It looks like the same could be done to make this also serve as a Hebrew offline reader, but I haven't looked into it yet.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

One additional note about TheWord. I think you can add NA28 for something like $25 US. If someone wanted a current version of the Greek text that is indexed to quite a few free lexicons on TheWord (including LSJ, and Abbott-Smith) this works really quite well. I recommend this setup for those studying with me who don't want to invest a huge amount of money yet, but who need the functionality. The response has been quite positive.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I would like to see Alpheios be able to be used as an MS Word add-on. That would be very helpful for developing curriculum.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:I would like to see Alpheios be able to be used as an MS Word add-on. That would be very helpful for developing curriculum.
Most of the stuff I'm doing is platform-independent, creating data that can be used in various environments. Thomas pointed to a program that doesn't run on my computer, you point to a Microsoft Word environment, they can both use the same data. Anything I work on is more likely to be platform independent, but I'm happy to advise anyone working on platform-specific programs. I have ideas for a platform independent reading environment, if I can only find time ...
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Jonathan,

Where is the code repository for the Alpheios tools?
Thomas Sandberg

Re: Abbott-Smith, Dodson in Alpheios Reading Tools for Firefox

Post by Thomas Sandberg »

Firefox will not let me add the New Testament stuff for Alpheios due to it being "unsigned" or something. Any help Jonathan?
Fr. Thomas Sandberg, B.Th.(Hons.)
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
thomassandberg.ca
<<μὴ μέταιρε ὅρια αἰώνια, ἃ ἔθεντο οἱ πατέρες σου.>>
-Παροιμίαι ΚΒʹ:28

Return to “Bible Study Software”