What software doesn't do ....

Paul-Nitz

Re: What software doesn't do ....

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Bill Ross wrote: December 6th, 2018, 11:04 am a way to cite a complete entry in BDAG
Yes, ῥᾴδιόν ἐστι
Just hit Control + P (Print).
From that dialogue box you can copy to clipboard, send to a document, etc.

ῥᾴδιος, α, ον, Att. also ος, ον; Ep. and Ion. ῥηίδιος, η, ον, [ῐ]: Comp. ῥᾴων, ῥᾷον (from the Root ΡΑ), Ion. ῥηίων, ῥήιον, Ep. ῥηίτερος, contr. ῥῄτερος, Dor. ῥᾴτερος:—Sup. ῥᾷστος, η, ον, Ion. and Ep. ῥήιστος, Dor. ῥάϊστος, Ep. ῥηίτατος:—easy, ready, easy to make or do, opp. to χαλεπός, Hom., etc.; ῥηίδιόν τοι ἔπος a word easy for thee to understand, Od.:—c. inf., τάφρος ῥῃιδίη περῆσαι easy to pass over, Il.; ῥηίτεροι πολεμίζειν easier to fight with, Ib.

2. ῥᾴδιόν ἐστι it is easy to do a thing, c. inf., Pind., Thuc.; c. acc. et inf., τύραννον εὐσεβεῖν οὐ ῥᾴδιον Soph.; also, ῥᾷστοί εἰσιν ἀμύνεσθαι = ῥᾴδιόν ἐστιν αὐτοὺς ἀμύνεσθαι, Thuc.
  • b. also, ῥᾴδιόν ἐστι it is a light matter, you think little of doing, παρʼ ὑμῖν ῥ. ξενοκτονεῖν Eur.
II. of persons, easy, complaisant, Lat. facilis, commodus, Dem.:—in bad sense, reckless, Luc.
  • B. Adv. ῥᾳδίως, Ep. and Ion. ῥηιδίως, easily, lightly, readily, willingly, Hom., etc.; ῥᾳδίως φέρειν to bear lightly, make light of a thing, Eur., etc.
    2. in bad sense, lightly, recklessly, rashly, Thuc.; ῥᾳδίως οὕτω in this easy, thoughtless way, Plat
    II. Comp., ῥᾷον φέρειν Thuc.
    III. Sup. ῥᾷστα, esp. in phrases, ῥᾷστα φέρειν Soph.; ὡς ῥᾷστα φέρειν Aesch.
Liddell, H. G. (1996). A lexicon: Abridged from Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English lexicon. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 3:36 PM 7 December, 2018.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
doday

Re: What software doesn't do ....

Post by doday »

I'm aware the motivation for software not doing these two things is largely profit and competition, but I'd like to see commercial (for-profit) Bible software:
  1. Support common/open formats (e.g., SWORD modules, OSIS, USFM, etc.) that can be imported into the tool and used just like any other resource (albeit with limitations such as not having the same cross-referencing that would be expected of the tool's "native" resources). I don't mind agreeing to a warning about a potentially degraded user experience to support freely-available resources. Granted, I'm aware of the numerous security issues associated with parsing, but it's a shame I have to pay for public domain resources to use them in commercial Bible software programs.
  2. Provide an API to enable programmatic interaction with native resources (albeit with heavy licensing restrictions). This would enable, e.g., NLP research leveraging commercial datasets. I understand that scraping/piracy would become simple which is why this will likely never happen save for special exceptions under NDA / DRM agreements.
Perhaps I'm being a bit quixotic....
Dan O’Day

Return to “Bible Study Software”