Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Links to resources found on the Web, upcoming events, get-togethers, and other cool stuff that Greek lovers should know about.
nathaniel j. erickson

Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Post by nathaniel j. erickson »

Check out this map of the Roman Empire in AD 117 with Greek names! I first saw it posted here.

It appears to be the work of this wikipedia contributor.

It appears to be a translation of this map.

I only checked a few of the names to verify that they were actually Ancient Greek names, not just Modern Greek. Can't speak for all of them. But, the ones I looked up in the lexicon are Ancient Greek and a few of the names are obviously different from those used on the maps in my Modern Greek Bible, so I'm guessing they are all Ancient Greek.

When I first saw Ἰβηρία listed over near the Black Sea I was surprised. Turns out, there were two regions called by that name:
Ἰ̆βηρία -ας, ἡ [Ἴβηρ] Iberia, region HDT. 1.163.1 (in Spain) PLUT. Pomp. 38.5 (on the Black Sea) etc. Ion. -ίη.

Pretty neat resource. I'll definitely be using it in the future.
Nathaniel J. Erickson
NT PhD candidate, ABD
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ntgreeketal.com
ὅπου πλείων κόπος, πολὺ κέρδος
ΠΡΟΣ ΠΟΛΥΚΑΡΠΟΝ ΙΓΝΑΤΙΟΣ
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

nathaniel j. erickson wrote: September 5th, 2020, 10:17 am Check out this map of the Roman Empire in AD 117 with Greek names! I first saw it posted here.

It appears to be the work of this wikipedia contributor.

It appears to be a translation of this map.

I only checked a few of the names to verify that they were actually Ancient Greek names, not just Modern Greek. Can't speak for all of them. But, the ones I looked up in the lexicon are Ancient Greek and a few of the names are obviously different from those used on the maps in my Modern Greek Bible, so I'm guessing they are all Ancient Greek.

When I first saw Ἰβηρία listed over near the Black Sea I was surprised. Turns out, there were two regions called by that name:
Ἰ̆βηρία -ας, ἡ [Ἴβηρ] Iberia, region HDT. 1.163.1 (in Spain) PLUT. Pomp. 38.5 (on the Black Sea) etc. Ion. -ίη.

Pretty neat resource. I'll definitely be using it in the future.
The author missed re-naming Cyprus, but I don't know how to contact him/her to say so.
Seumas Macdonald

Re: Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

I've contacted the author to tell them to fix Cyprus.

bedwere is a font of useful Greek materials, should be more widely known.
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia

Return to “Cool Stuff”