Recently Published Dissertation on Aspect

Barry Hofstetter

Recently Published Dissertation on Aspect

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

http://ncs.ruhosting.nl/corien/Disserta ... enBary.pdf

Someone posted the link on the Textkit forum, passing it on without having had a chance to read it myself.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stephen Carlson

Re: Recently Published Dissertation on Aspect

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Not that recent, it's 2009. I've read it, and it's generally good but it may be too formal for some. It takes a fairly common approach to aspect in contemporary linguistics (Klein) and integrates it with Discourse Representation Theory.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stephen Carlson wrote: November 8th, 2017, 11:16 pm Not that recent, it's 2009. I've read it, and it's generally good but it may be too formal for some. It takes a fairly common approach to aspect in contemporary linguistics (Klein) and integrates it with Discourse Representation Theory.
Recent in scholarly terms usually means anytime in the last 50 years or so... :D

So would you say it's generally worth it or are there better ways to spend our time if we want to learn more about contemporary views on aspect?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: November 9th, 2017, 6:51 am So would you say it's generally worth it or are there better ways to spend our time if we want to learn more about contemporary views on aspect?
Well, I found it helpful when I read it, but I enjoy reading that stuff and your mileage may vary. A summary of the most useful parts of her analysis has been condensed into a journal article with Markus Egg here: Variety in Ancient Greek aspect interpretation (2012). Read that instead (or first).
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Seen on the Web”