Introduction

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Jeff

Introduction

Post by Jeff »

Χαίρετε!

My name is Jeff Jansen, and I studied Classical Greek at Duke University many, many years ago. There were only two of us majoring in Classical Greek my graduating year, so I tell everyone that I graduated first or second in my class; modesty forbids me from saying more. :D

I've kept my Greek up over the years and still read Xenophon and Plato "for fun." As a pastor, however, most of my time these days is spent in Koine and the New Testament. But I was with Wycliffe Bible Translators/SIL for twenty years before this, so if you have strong feelings about Aktionsart vs. Aspect, I am all ears.

I came across this site while doing research for another project about which I will put up a blurb in the Software forum.

It's a pleasure to "meet" you all.
Jeff Jansen
http://claypotfrog.com
Jason Hare

Re: Introduction

Post by Jason Hare »

Jeff wrote: August 28th, 2024, 9:49 pm Χαίρετε!

My name is Jeff Jansen, and I studied Classical Greek at Duke University many, many years ago. There were only two of us majoring in Classical Greek my graduating year, so I tell everyone that I graduated first or second in my class; modesty forbids me from saying more. :D

I've kept my Greek up over the years and still read Xenophon and Plato "for fun." As a pastor, however, most of my time these days is spent in Koine and the New Testament. But I was with Wycliffe Bible Translators/SIL for twenty years before this, so if you have strong feelings about Aktionsart vs. Aspect, I am all ears.

I came across this site while doing research for another project about which I will put up a blurb in the Software forum.

It's a pleasure to "meet" you all.
χαῖρε καὶ σύ, ὦ φίλε.

I apologize that your post wasn’t approved before now and received no reply. We have been overrun by spam these past several months, and your post was lost in the shuffle. I have just spent three days deleting thousands of spam users and posts.

I’ve also strengthened the enrolment security to try to prevent what has happened, so I hope that you get to receive some interesting responses from people as you engage here on B-Greek.

Welcome aboard! I expect everything to be much smoother from here on out.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I was an email administrator for many years; I totally understand spam! :-) Thanks for working through everything and getting it sorted out. I know from experience that's a long, tedious process and few people thank you for all the work they never see. So let me say "Thank You!"
Jeff Jansen
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jeff wrote: October 16th, 2024, 3:46 pm I was an email administrator for many years; I totally understand spam! :-) Thanks for working through everything and getting it sorted out. I know from experience that's a long, tedious process and few people thank you for all the work they never see. So let me say "Thank You!"
You were one of the admins for B-Greek when it was a listserv?! Or, maybe you’re not talking specifically about B-Greek.

I took three years of Koinē in undergrad and have recently worked through both levels of Athenaze in the Italian version, and I read through the intermediate reader The Ass by Lucian. Still have a long way to go in Greek, but I’m in a better place now that I was in the past. :)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Ασπασμοι, φιλε! πως εχεις; εχω καλως. χαριν εχω τω θεω.

Welcome aboard, Jeff!
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Devenios Doulenios wrote: October 17th, 2024, 11:10 am Ασπασμοι, φιλε! πως εχεις; εχω καλως. χαριν εχω τω θεω.

Welcome aboard, Jeff!
Adding accents: ἀσπασμοί, φίλε! πῶς ἔχεις; ἔχω καλῶς. χάριν ἔχω τῷ θεῷ.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Devenios Doulenios

Thanks, Jason. I have studied the accent rules, but so far have not internalized them enough to use them with confidence. However, I bought a guidebook to Greek accents and when I can, will do some exercises it offers.

I am starting also to get some practice with this while using White's First Greek Book to prep for reading Xenophon's Anabasis and as an intro to Attic. It has some good English to Greek exercises.
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Jason - I was an email administrator with Wycliffe Bible Translators for many, many years. I'd never heard of this forum until this past summer when I discovered it doing some research for my software product. But I have thoroughly enjoyed perusing the topics.

If' you've worked through the intermediate reader, "The Ass," can I recommend "Stories in Attic Greek" by Morice. It's in the public domain so you can find a copy on google books, etc. or you can purchase it. It's not as nice a layout as they did with "The Ass" with the vocab at the bottom of the page - it's the just text, then in the back there's a section of notes for each story, and finally a lexicon. But it takes passages from famous works by Xenophon, Thucydides, etc. and "regularizes" them to an Attic that someone with a year or so of Ancient Greek can read.

The stories are very fun, and it's got a great introduction called "Hints for Beginners" which is very helpful. The author also gives "helps" in the early stories, like hyphenating the epsilon augment and prepositions on verbs so you can see the root. So he writes "προς-έ-φερον" to make it clear that the root is "προσφέρω." But as the stories go on, he stops doing that. It's a wonderful resource.
Jeff Jansen
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

χάρις Δεβενίῳ καὶ εἰρήνη· εὐχαριστῶ σοι ὅτι με ἠσπασμάσω. τῆς δὲ ἀγάπης αὐτοῦ ὁ θεός πληροίην σοι.
Jeff Jansen
Devenios Doulenios

χαιρω οτι θελεις Ελληνικη γραφειν, φιλε Jeff. Καγω ευδοκησα Ελληνιστι γραφειν. ου γραφω καλως, αλλα θελω.
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Return to “Introductions”