Γεια σας!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
martinlest

Γεια σας!

Post by martinlest »

Hi. I have just joined this forum and thought I'd say 'hi'. I am not Greek (British, from London) but I lived in Greece (Crete mostly) for almost 15 years and find myself now, back in the UK, teaching Greek to children a few hours a week. My 'day job' is also as a teacher BTW - mostly SEN work.

I visit Greece as often as possible (got back last week from 10 days in northern Greece; stunned by first visit to Meteora): it's always a pleasure to chat to local people in their language rather than mine...

Will post another thread later (looking for suitable games etc. for beginner students). Look forward to using this forum over the coming months (and years?).

Τα λέμε!

Martin
Jonathan Robie

Re: Γεια σας!

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome, Martin!

One thing to watch out for: this is a forum for biblical Greek, not modern Greek. Judging by your first post, it looks like you are more involved with modern Greek?

χάρις σοι!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Welcome, Martin!

One thing to watch out for: this is a forum for biblical Greek, not modern Greek. Judging by your first post, it looks like you are more involved with modern Greek?

χάρις σοι!
I of course saw the 'Biblical Greek Forum' as the heading, but browsed before joining and am sure I saw posts in demotic too. Maybe I 'struck lucky'! Is there not a demotic subforum? If not, although I know some biblical Greek (used to work at the British Library andwas able to leaf through manuscripts like the Codex Sanaiticus and Alexandrinus), it is indeed the demotic language which concerns me now.

If this website does not contain a demotic subforum (true, I can't see one now!), is there a similarly comprehensive forum that anyone can recommend?

Thanks.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sorry, we don't do demotic here.

There are some modern Greek forums on the Web.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Daft that I thought I'd checked this (in spite of the forum name)... oh well. Thanks anyway! :-)
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Dear Martin
when does one say Γεια σας! and when does one say Γεια σou! ?
thanks,
Shirley Rollinson
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Γεια σας is the formal and/or plural form (like 'vous' in French). Γεια σou is the singular informal (like 'tu' in French).

Return to “Introductions”