New Greek Teacher

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: New Greek Teacher

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

RandallButh wrote: November 15th, 2019, 1:48 am βεβαίως. ἤθελον χρήσασθαι τῇ ἑλληνικῇ δραχμῇ ἀντὶ τοῦ Ῥωμαϊκοῦ δηναρίου.
Nonnuli tamendem Romanum denarium Graecae drachmae meliorem nummum praeponant (ἀλλοὶ μεντοὶ Ῥωμαικὸν δηναρίον κρεῖττον νομίσμα ὄν ἢ δραχμὴν ποαιρῶνται).

Many good comments and much food for thought in this exchange so far, and I very much appreciate the positive tone and good humor of the comments. I'll only say that despite being a victim of the grammar-translation method, I think I've made quite a bit of progress in the languages over the years. But incorporating a variety of ways to engage the languages would have made things much easier at the earlier stages. Of course, when I say languages I mean Latin and Greek. Most of you probably mean Greek and Hebrew... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Adam Denoon

Re: New Greek Teacher

Post by Adam Denoon »

I am overwhelmed by the wealth of wonderful responses to this thread, and needless to say, I feel quite at home!

Thank you guys for being so engaging and helpful on this introductory thread. I have carefully read all of your comments, and will work to integrate what I've gleaned into my courses!

διά τούτα χαίρω!
προσέχετε ἑαυτοῖς καὶ παντὶ τῷ ποιμνίῳ, ἐν ᾧ ὑμᾶς τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον ἔθετο ἐπισκόπους ποιμαίνειν τὴν ἐκκλησίαν τοῦ θεοῦ, ἣν περιεποιήσατο διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ ἰδίου. ~ Acts 20:28

Return to “Introductions”