A Newbie Greek Learner

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Christina Diggles

A Newbie Greek Learner

Post by Christina Diggles »

Hello!

I just officially made my entrance into the world of Biblical Greek, so I likely won't be active for awhile. Even the beginner threads I saw were way over my head! I would enjoy getting to the point where I could read the Bible in Greek and experience it a little bit closer to the way those who lived in Bible times heard it.

Other than that, I just have a fascination with languages in general. And years ago I came up with a story that involved a Greek professor. So, if I'm ever to actually write that book I'll need to know some Greek! :lol:

Αι αλσο ενιοι ραιτινγ ενγλις υορδς ιν Γρικ λετερς ας υελ... but I'm not sure how intelligible it is, since the phonetics of the Greek and English alphabets aren't exactly the same, and my phonetic knowledge of Greek is still imperfect.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: A Newbie Greek Learner

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome to B-Greek, Christina.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Good luck, Christina. What book or program are you using for your introduction? :)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome, Christina!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Christina Diggles wrote: April 21st, 2020, 9:08 pm Hello!

I just officially made my entrance into the world of Biblical Greek, so I likely won't be active for awhile. Even the beginner threads I saw were way over my head! I would enjoy getting to the point where I could read the Bible in Greek and experience it a little bit closer to the way those who lived in Bible times heard it.

Other than that, I just have a fascination with languages in general. And years ago I came up with a story that involved a Greek professor. So, if I'm ever to actually write that book I'll need to know some Greek! :lol:

Αι αλσο ενιοι ραιτινγ ενγλις υορδς ιν Γρικ λετερς ας υελ... but I'm not sure how intelligible it is, since the phonetics of the Greek and English alphabets aren't exactly the same, and my phonetic knowledge of Greek is still imperfect.
Welcome, Christina.
Greek is a great language - I hope you enjoy it - it's like learning to ride a bicycle, or the piano - it needs a bit every day :-)
You're welcome to try the online textbook, at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
Welcome :-)
Shirley Rollinson
Christina Diggles

Post by Christina Diggles »

Thanks so much everyone! @Jason Hare, I'm using Biblingo, which is still in the beta testing stages.
Shirley Rollinson wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 8:05 pm You're welcome to try the online textbook, at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
I'll have to check that out! The main thing I need help with at the moment is brushing up on the alphabet, since that lesson hasn't been released yet in my course.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Christina Diggles wrote: April 25th, 2020, 9:43 am @Jason Hare, I'm using Biblingo, which is still in the beta testing stages.
@Christina Diggles: I'm really unfamiliar with the new app. Does it present grammar and everything? Have you considered using a traditional grammar, or will this app cover everything?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jason Hare wrote: April 26th, 2020, 9:00 am
Christina Diggles wrote: April 25th, 2020, 9:43 am @Jason Hare, I'm using Biblingo, which is still in the beta testing stages.
@Christina Diggles: I'm really unfamiliar with the new app. Does it present grammar and everything? Have you considered using a traditional grammar, or will this app cover everything?
@Jason Hare I have been using biblingo for Hebrew, and it definitely does present grammar. I have been using it for Hebrew and I am impressed.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jonathan Robie wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:04 pm @Jason Hare I have been using biblingo for Hebrew, and it definitely does present grammar. I have been using it for Hebrew and I am impressed.
@Jonathan Robie: That's really nice to hear. I'm glad that the app is working and is helpful. Did you get it at a discount? From what I see, it's about $300 for a lifetime membership.

(Also, how did you get the [‎mention‎] tag? I think it's something that we should put on B-Hebrew, too!)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jason Hare wrote: April 27th, 2020, 3:30 pm
Jonathan Robie wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:04 pm @Jason Hare I have been using biblingo for Hebrew, and it definitely does present grammar. I have been using it for Hebrew and I am impressed.
@Jonathan Robie: That's really nice to hear. I'm glad that the app is working and is helpful. Did you get it at a discount? From what I see, it's about $300 for a lifetime membership.

(Also, how did you get the [‎mention‎] tag? I think it's something that we should put on B-Hebrew, too!)
I paid whatever the SBL preview price was, they had a booth at SBL where they were showing demos.

Return to “Introductions”