its all greek to me [introduction]

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Marvin

its all greek to me [introduction]

Post by Marvin »

in other words - I haven't got a clue.

I try to gain a better understanding of the phrase of love thy neighbour like thyself, understanding it to mean those who you call your own. After all, the ultimate sign of love to give your life for oneself does not make sense but you can give your life for thyself. This is supported by the translation provided in the bible hub stating σεαυτὸν to mean "of yourself". Thus I wonder what the difference of the left or right leaning acccent over the o reflects.
Jason Hare

Re: its all greek to me

Post by Jason Hare »

Given that this thread is under "Introductions," perhaps we should curtail any further discussion about this question and put it under "Beginners."

I'll go ahead and do that.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Re: its all greek to me

Post by Jason Hare »

Marvin wrote: April 8th, 2021, 2:42 am in other words - I haven't got a clue.

I try to gain a better understanding of the phrase of love thy neighbour like thyself, understanding it to mean those who you call your own. After all, the ultimate sign of love to give your life for oneself does not make sense but you can give your life for thyself. This is supported by the translation provided in the bible hub stating σεαυτὸν to mean "of yourself". Thus I wonder what the difference of the left or right leaning acccent over the o reflects.
Marvin, we'll split the thread so that the question of "of yourself" will be separated out.

I just wanted to say "welcome to the forum." Also, please take the time to read up on our policy regarding usernames and on the other forum policies before posting further.

Where do you come to Greek from? Are you interested in learning the language in some formal way? What background do you have in languages generally?

ἔρρωσο,
Ἰάσων

P.S. I'm a Hebrew teacher, not a Greek teacher. Greek is only a hobby for me.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Marvin

Re: its all greek to me [introduction]

Post by Marvin »

Thanks for the welcome and putting the question where you feel fit.
my language background is limited to English, German and a bit of French. Unfortunately I am far to busy for my own good, thus the long absence from the site. my interest is in occasional biblical studies as hopefully clear from the question, so all quite benign. Haven't even a website I can peddle or anything to sell to the forum but understand your worry about the anti-social medium the internet has become.

Using biblehub I found the phrase in leviticus as well using the term https://biblehub.com/hebrew/kamocha_3644.htm but that word is used with quite different but also with the dots changing, so I am even more of a loss.
Shirley Rollinson

Re: its all greek to me [introduction]

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Marvin wrote: April 8th, 2021, 2:42 am in other words - I haven't got a clue.

The accent (either grave or acute) does not change the meaning of σεαυτὸν. In Matt.22:39, Mark12:31 and Luke10:27 the accent is acute σεαυτόν because it is at the end of the sentence. There were no accents in the original texts - they came later, to help people pronounce the words correctly.
I don't use Bible Hub, but I am surprised that it should say that σεαυτὸν means "of yourself" (implying a Genitive) σεαυτὸν is the Accusative (yourself). the Genitive (of yourself) should be σεαυτου
As for the Hebrew of Leviticus and other passages which you looked up in Bible Hub - the pointing and accent on the word כָּמ֑וֹךָ varies because it is sometimes at the end of a sentence, sometimes at a lesser break part way through a sentence.
Be wary of just plugging into things like Bible Hub - you are putting one more layer of interpretation and opinions between yourself and the text. Work on figuring it out for yourself with the aid of a grammar and vocabulary, and maybe with Grosvenor and Zerwick's "Analysis of the GNT
Also, I would question that "neighbor" means "those you call your own" (eg. the parable of the Good Samaritan casts a much wider net). And BTW, the Gospel passages above do not use σεαυτου to describe your neighbor, but plain old σου

Return to “Introductions”