Briar Patch

Come here to read our policies, ask questions, make suggestions, or find out the latest news about the B-Greek forum.
Jonathan Robie

Briar Patch

Post by Jonathan Robie »

This thread is for issues that need to be resolved. Posts may be moved here if there is a need to discuss their content and we don't want to disrupt from substantive discussion. Parts of posts may be edited out and moved here, perhaps anonymously.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Re: Briar Patch

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Edited out of a recent post:
A perspicacious reader of my very first post, in which I also presented my interpretation of 1 John 5:7-8, would have suspected that I do not subscribe to the doctrine of the personality of the holy spirit. By the time I got to my last post someone with even half a brain, drunk and with one eye closed could have understood where I stood on the question of the nature of the holy spirit and that if had an "theological agenda" (which you wrongly accuse me of) it was to oppose the traditional doctrine! But you somehow managed to achieve the impossible feat of reaching the opposite conclusion! Congratulations!
Barry's response:
Barry Hofstetter wrote:I'm not going to quibble here or defend my conclusion. I will point out, and I'm speaking particularly as one of he admin's of this forum, that the language I've emphasized in bold above is highly inappropriate for this forum. We interact with arguments, and otherwise remain polite and courteous and avoid language that can be construed as personal insult. Further such language will result in moderation.
I edited this out of the original exchange. Barry is right. We do not talk that way here, end of story. Please use respect.

If someone is misinterpreting you, please clarify. We need to do that a lot here, we are discussing subtle things.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

When I see something that I don't think we should tolerate here, I will edit it out and post it here anonymously so that we don't have to distract from the subject of a given thread. If you recognize this content as yours, please take the hint.

I edited this out of another recent post:
His books are rather pricey for me, and his Catholic bias is overwhelmingly obnoxious to me, so I'm going to pass on the book. I did watch some videos, and am impressed, but also disgusted at the same time. He is an Catholic apologist, not a scholar. He's good at his job, for sure, but I'm not buying!
This is an attack, with no real substance, on someone who wrote a book that the poster has not even read, before seeing what the author has to say. Even when we talk about authors or others we disagree with, can we please do it with the Respectful Discourse policy in mind?
Jonathan Robie wrote: May 6th, 2011, 9:30 am Those who participate in the conference represent a wide range of theological and denominational perspectives, perhaps even including some whose interests are purely academic. Deep religious convictions surely characterize many, perhaps most, of the list-participants, and some of these convictions bear directly upon how the Biblical text is to be understood. At the core of our discussion, however, is not what our convictions are but what the Greek text may legitimately be understood to mean.

If discussion of this nature is to succeed, proper respect and courtesy to other list members is important. While scholarly debate, including disagreement, is encouraged as a goal of this conference, attacks upon the character, intelligence, or faith of those participating are not acceptable. Criticism must focus upon the arguments of others; it may not be directed to the individual.

B-Greek must not be used either to attack or to defend any particular doctrine deemed "orthodox" by one or another individual or group; this is not the forum for apologetic controversy. Those who violate this policy will be contacted politely by the B-Greek staff and requested to conform to these guidelines. Those who continue to violate the policy will no longer be welcome in the conference.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

An excellent step, Jonathan.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Jonathan Robie wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 8:20 am When I see something that I don't think we should tolerate here, I will edit it out and post it here anonymously so that we don't have to distract from the subject of a given thread. If you recognize this content as yours, please take the hint.
Well put, Jonathan. I support this policy.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Announcements, Questions, and Policies”