exclamation or question?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
mikeatnip

exclamation or question?

Post by mikeatnip »

In Matt. 21:20 we see:
Καὶ ἰδόντες οἱ μαθηταὶ ἐθαύμασαν, λέγοντες, Πῶς παραχρῆμα ἐξηράνθη ἡ συκῆ; (Byz)
The KJV and a few others translate the last phrase as an exclamatory remark. Most others as a question. It seems that I read somewhere in a grammar that the semi-colon (added later, of course) can sometimes be read as an exclamation, but I cannot find that information in any grammar at the moment and am wondering if I remember correctly. So my question is, can the ";" in the text be taken as a exclamation? The context here could be either way, in my opinion ... and I am assuming that context trumps editorial insertions of the punctuation marks.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
S Walch

Re: exclamation or question?

Post by S Walch »

The ; as far as I'm aware, always indicates a question mark.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

S Walch wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 2:12 pm The ; as far as I'm aware, always indicates a question mark.
This is probably a question about KJV 1769 translation choices. It's clearly a question mark in most critical editions - do any have this as an exclamation mark? If so, which ones?

KJV 1611 has this as a question:
And when the Disciples saw it, they marueiled, saying, How soone is the figge tree withered away?
BrillDAG does cite Matthew 21:20 as one example where πῶς can be used in an exclamation:
exclam. how …!, how much …! with adj. and adv. NT Matt. 21:20; πῶς δυσκόλως with what difficulty NT Mark 10:23; ὦ πῶς PHILEM. 2.1 ‖ with verbs NT Luke 12:50, al.; ἴδε πῶς ἐφίλει αὐτόν see how he loved him! NT John 11:36 Ion. κῶς HDT. HP. etc.

Franco Montanari, ed. Madeleine Goh and Chad Schroeder, The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek (Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2015).
BDAG also lists this usage, but doesn't list Matthew 21:20 as an example of it:
② in exclamations (cp. 1aβ; Schwyzer II 626) how … ! (X., An. 6, 5, 19 al.; Epict. 1, 16, 13; 4, 1, 115; 116, Ench. 24, 3 πῶς ἄνισοί ἐστε καὶ ἀγνώμονες; M. Ant. 6, 27.—B-D-F §436; Rob. 302; OLagercrantz, Eranos 18, 1918, 26ff; KRupprecht, Philol. 80, 1924, 207) πῶς δύσκολόν ἐστιν Mk 10:24; cp. vs. 23; Lk 18:24. πῶς συνέχομαι 12:50. πῶς ἐφίλει αὐτόν J 11:36.—Hm 11:20; 12, 4, 2.—JBauer, Pōs in der gr. Bibel, NovT 2, ’57, 81–91. DELG s.v. πο-. M-M. EDNT.

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000), 901.
Anyone want to weigh in on the arguments for treating Matthew 21:20 as an exclamation?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Since questions can be used as exclamations, maybe we're dealing with a false dichotomy. Why not both?
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Tony Pope

Post by Tony Pope »

Stephen Carlson wrote: July 26th, 2022, 2:55 am Since questions can be used as exclamations, maybe we're dealing with a false dichotomy. Why not both?
That may be reasonable, but would it not be necessary to specify what kind of a question? To my mind the sentence is not merely a question for information, whereas some translations in English, German and French I have seen are most naturally read that way.

As far as I can see, θαυμάζειν would more likely precede an exclamation than a question, and ἀποκρίνεσθαι (verse 21) does not necessarily require that the preceding turn in the conversation was a question for information (cf. the Mark parallel 11.21-22 ῥαββί, ἴδε ἡ συκῆ ἣν κατηράσω ἐξήρανται. [22] καὶ ἀποκριθεὶς ὁ Ἰησοῦς λέγει αὐτοῖς· ἔχετε πίστιν θεοῦ).
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Carlson wrote: July 26th, 2022, 2:55 am Since questions can be used as exclamations, maybe we're dealing with a false dichotomy. Why not both?
How cool is that?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Jonathan Robie wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:18 am
How cool is that?
Yes, how cool is that‽
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

mikeatnip wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:36 am Yes, how cool is that‽
https://apps.timwhitlock.info/unicode/i ... =%E2%80%BD
Screenshot 2022-07-30 094224.png
Screenshot 2022-07-30 094224.png (54.22 KiB) Viewed 3713 times

Return to “Beginners Forum”