Gregory of Nyssa: Contra Eunomium

Stirling Bartholomew

Gregory of Nyssa: Contra Eunomium

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Last couple of days been looking at Contra Eunomium by Gregory of Nyssa. It seems like the W.Jaeger Text
Leiden: Brill, 1960 is quite different in both structure and content from the text used for the 19th century church fathers project edited by Schaff and colleagues. My attempts to back translate the older translation and synchronize it with the W.Jaeger Text have been less than satisfactory. I have the recent translations published by Brill in the last two decades ordered from InterLibLoan. Probably should read Basil first. Will take a look at him while waiting for the books to arrive.

Anyone have any experience with Contra Eunomium? Comments are welcome.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Seumas Macdonald

Re: Gregory of Nyssa: Contra Eunomium

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

Half my doctoral dissertation was on Basil's CE. I've looked at portions of Gregory's too. Yes, as, you've surmised the Schaff translation is difficult to sync with Jaegar. The recent Brill translation is well done, and useful for clarifying points where Gregory is obscure. Gregory also strikes me, in this text, as having a slightly more developed technical vocabulary in some of his usages.
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Seumas Macdonald wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:23 am Half my doctoral dissertation was on Basil's CE. I've looked at portions of Gregory's too. Yes, as, you've surmised the Schaff translation is difficult to sync with Jaegar. The recent Brill translation is well done, and useful for clarifying points where Gregory is obscure. Gregory also strikes me, in this text, as having a slightly more developed technical vocabulary in some of his usages.
Thank you, thought I was loosing my mind trying to to sync Schaff translation with Jaegar.

Just discovered your patristic readers, very helpful.

https://patristicreaders.files.wordpress.com
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Bruce McKinnon

Post by Bruce McKinnon »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: February 14th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Seumas Macdonald wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:23 am Half my doctoral dissertation was on Basil's CE. I've looked at portions of Gregory's too. Yes, as, you've surmised the Schaff translation is difficult to sync with Jaegar. The recent Brill translation is well done, and useful for clarifying points where Gregory is obscure. Gregory also strikes me, in this text, as having a slightly more developed technical vocabulary in some of his usages.

Just discovered your patristic readers, very helpful.

https://patristicreaders.files.wordpress.com
Thank you for noting your discovery. I've ordered one from Amazon.
Seumas Macdonald

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

Hope the patristic reader materials are helpful!

I stopped trying to work in that format, it became too labour-intensive for the small niche interest it was serving, and I decided it was better to try to work towards more machine-readable and data-rich versions of these kinds of things. Though the going has been slower.
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”