Erasmian Pronunciation Variants

Is vocalizing the Greek words and sentences important? If so, how should Greek be pronounced (what arguments can be made for one pronunciation over another or others?) How can I write Greek characters clearly and legibly?
Stephen Carlson

Re: Erasmian Pronunciation Variants

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Christopher M. Tully wrote: January 4th, 2022, 1:11 pm "General American lacks the “short o” sound of British “top.” If you rhyme “father” and “bother,” you don’t have the British short o." Stephen do you have any way of demonstrating what a short o really sounds like?
Well, I have a strong American accent myself, but others can do it. Here’s one video on YouTube about the difference: https://youtu.be/XfJXUdMvX8o

If there’s a way to embed, perhaps Jonathan can tell me how.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Code: Select all

[youtube]XfJXUdMvX8o[/youtube]
Take the last bit after the final / - XfJXUdMvX8o - and pop between the YT tags :)

As a Brit myself (northern one, so I have the twang of saying bah-th and grah-ss, rather than bar-th, and grar-ss), not sure if the following may help:

Would pronounce "top" as toh-p; "bother" would be boh-thur. American for both would probably be more taw-p and baw-thur.
Stephen Carlson

Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me: just a blank area reserved for a video that isn't there.
Melbourne, Australia
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

S Walch wrote: January 4th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Code: Select all

[youtube]XfJXUdMvX8o[/youtube]
Take the last bit after the final / - XfJXUdMvX8o - and pop between the YT tags :)

As a Brit myself (northern one, so I have the twang of saying bah-th and grah-ss, rather than bar-th, and grar-ss), not sure if the following may help:

Would pronounce "top" as toh-p; "bother" would be boh-thur. American for both would probably be more taw-p and baw-thur.
As a Brit who can do a Yorks/Lancs or an Oxbridge academic one "Ee, we 'ad a laff on't path in't grass last neet" (wi' glo'l stops an' all) or "Oh we had a larff on the parth in the grahrs larst naite" Pronunciation is really a minor matter for the GNT - the main thing is to read it and let it speak to us.
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Stephen Carlson wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:26 pm Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me: just a blank area reserved for a video that isn't there.
My browser is reporting an error about the video being requested from an "insecure source" as it's not HTTPS. Probably the same thing is occurring in yours.

Edit:
Just found out if I change the https:// at the beginning of the B-Greek address to http://, the video loads.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S Walch wrote: January 5th, 2022, 4:55 am
Stephen Carlson wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:26 pm Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me: just a blank area reserved for a video that isn't there.
My browser is reporting an error about the video being requested from an "insecure source" as it's not HTTPS. Probably the same thing is occurring in yours.

Edit:
Just found out if I change the https:// at the beginning of the B-Greek address to http://, the video loads.
It should be working now.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Christopher M. Tully

Post by Christopher M. Tully »

Steven, her pronunciation of "clock" sounds very similar to "cluck" and her "rock" sounds like "ruck".

I don't see much of a difference. Here's a few entries from Vasile's Cambridge dictionary which might serve as reference:
Stephen Carlson

Christopher M. Tully wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:22 pm Steven, her pronunciation of "clock" sounds very similar to "cluck" and her "rock" sounds like "ruck".
They don’t to me but then again I’m used to hearing the sound (which I stress again does not exist in American English).
Melbourne, Australia
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Stephen Carlson wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:55 pm
Christopher M. Tully wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:22 pm Steven, her pronunciation of "clock" sounds very similar to "cluck" and her "rock" sounds like "ruck".
They don’t to me but then again I’m used to hearing the sound (which I stress again does not exist in American English).
Shes speaking with a southern middle-class English accent - and not a very clear pronunciation either.
Christopher M. Tully

Post by Christopher M. Tully »

You all bring up issues worth discussing, but I would like to treat one thing at a time.
Vasile Stancu wrote: "how about checking the other alternative I indicated, i.e. the Greek voice pronouncing ορθόδοξος and ορχήστρα?"
Vasile, I've got my headphones now. And have you changed your website from English to Romanian? At any rate, on your website the word ορθόδοξος I hear the first omicron pronounced like an omega (orange) and the following three like short u's (son). The one omicron in ορχήστρα I hear as omega (orange).

Return to “Alphabet and Pronunciation”