ζάω and the rules of contraction

How can I best learn the paradigms of nouns and verbs and the other inflected parts of speech?
Danny King

ζάω and the rules of contraction

Post by Danny King »

Why does ζάω frequently break the rules of contraction? For example, ζῇ (pres act ind 3s) and ζῆν (pres act inf). Is there a logical explanation for these exemptions from the rules or is it just an oddity to be accepted and memorized?

Also, are there any other contract verbs used in the New Testament that break the rules of contraction?

Thank you.
Stephen Hughes

Re: ζάω and the rules of contraction

Post by Stephen Hughes »

According to the rules of contraction that you know, what would happen if the root were ζη-?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Danny King wrote:Why does ζάω frequently break the rules of contraction? For example, ζῇ (pres act ind 3s) and ζῆν (pres act inf). Is there a logical explanation for these exemptions from the rules or is it just an oddity to be accepted and memorized?

Also, are there any other contract verbs used in the New Testament that break the rules of contraction?.
Stephen poses a "what if" question. I'd say that you should assume the root is ζη- and that the contractions of η with the other vowels of the whole ο/ε set of personal endings are the same as those for α + ο/ε personal endings. χρῆσθαι is comparable.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Danny King wrote:Why does ζάω frequently break the rules of contraction?
*ζάω is a fake form devised by grammarians long ago and should be abandoned. ζῆν is not a true -αω contract verb, so the usual rules for this group of verbs don't apply to it. It's yet another verb you'll have to specially memorize.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Also, are there any other contract verbs used in the New Testament that break the rules of contraction?
A classic rule-breaker are the various words formed on -χε (χεῖν 'pour'). Aorists are typically -έχεεν while imperfect seems to tend toward –έχει.

More important to is ask why the aorist *-έχεσε is not used? The answer to this question will be found ἐν τῷ ἀφεδρῶνι.

So these verbs need to be learned in context, maybe as the communicative need arises.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Well, they're not so much rules, you know, as guidelines…
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

RandallButh wrote:why the aorist *-έχεσε is not used?
Tell me, διδασκαλε.
I'd say εχειν smells so thoroughly of παρατατική that it resists an ἀόριστον ὄψιν.
Would the linguists call that lexical aspect.
RandallButh wrote:The answer to this question will be found ἐν τῷ ἀφεδρῶνι.
:? :? :?
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Paul-Nitz wrote:
RandallButh wrote:why the aorist *-έχεσε is not used?
Tell me, διδασκαλε.
I'd say εχειν smells so thoroughly of παρατατική that it resists an ἀόριστον ὄψιν.
Would the linguists call that lexical aspect.
RandallButh wrote:The answer to this question will be found ἐν τῷ ἀφεδρῶνι.
:? :? :?
Wonderful root, that: χεϝ/χοϝ/χυ; but there is an aorist, of course: ἔχεα; already found in Homer, as well as ἔχευα and the unaugmented χεῦα.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Danny King

Post by Danny King »

cwconrad wrote: I'd say that you should assume the root is ζη- and that the contractions of η with the other vowels of the whole ο/ε set of personal endings are the same as those for α + ο/ε personal endings. χρῆσθαι is comparable.
Yes, ζη does indeed work. Thank you.
Danny King

Post by Danny King »

Stephen Carlson wrote: *ζάω is a fake form devised by grammarians long ago and should be abandoned. ζῆν is not a true -αω contract verb, so the usual rules for this group of verbs don't apply to it. It's yet another verb you'll have to specially memorize.
But why would grammarians create a fake form? Just so they have a lexical form that fits nicely into a contract verb category? It would have been a lot less deceiving if they had just come up with ζήω and considered it a fourth type of contract verbs.

Isn't there some way to study the etymology of the word to see how it came about? I read in, I think, Wallace that some regional dialects of classical Greek used contract verbs in their uncontracted form. If some ancient document could be found where someone used ζάω or some variant in an uncontracted form, we would then know.

Return to “Learning Paradigms”