stop and parse vs. read on and let it percolate

How can I best learn the paradigms of nouns and verbs and the other inflected parts of speech?
Sam

stop and parse vs. read on and let it percolate

Post by Sam »

I’ve been practicing Dan Wallace’s “revolving door translation” for several months now, though I only do around three verses instead of three chapters. So far I’ve finished 1-3 John, and now I’m tackling 2 Thessalonians. This book is way more difficult in my opinion. I’m starting to see a habit wherein I tend to simply look for the lemma of the word and then run with it (especially on my second and third translation, since I already know what the translation should be). For example,
2 Thess 1:11 εἰς ὃ καὶ προσευχόμεθα πάντοτε περὶ ὑμῶν ἵνα ὑμᾶς ἀξιώσῃ τῆς κλήσεως ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν καὶ πληρώσῃ πᾶσαν εὐδοκίαν ἀγαθωσύνης καὶ ἔργον πίστεως ἐν δυνάμει.
I would see the ἀξι part of ἀξιώσῃ and immediately think “worthy”. I simply ignore the ώσῃ part. Same thing with πληρώσῃ. I only see the “πληρ” part, think “fill”, and ignore the rest. Should I stop, attempt to parse, look it up on my analytical lexicon, and then compare it with other "endings" from Danny Zacharias' chart (see how I'm trying to demonstrate how arduous this activity is), or could I simply let those words percolate, and patterns will emerge magically overtime?
Jonathan Robie

Re: stop and parse vs. read on and let it percolate

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I think both strategies are helpful.

When I was first learning Greek, I settled on this strategy:
  • Read pericopes, not verses. Later, when it's easier, read sections, not verses.
  • Read each pericope five times or so. Often, you understand it better each time, you see things that you kind of knew but now you recognize them.
  • Make a list of the things you still don't know. Look them up. Often, it's faster to do this with electronic references, and that's perfectly OK. The more time you spend thinking in Greek, the less time you spend thinking in academic English, the better.
  • When you think you understand it, compare your understanding to translations. What did you miss?
I don't usually translate as a reading exercise. Translation and reading are two different things.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Sam

Post by Sam »

Jonathan Robie wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:28 pm
  • Read pericopes, not verses. Later, when it's easier, read sections, not verses.
  • Read each pericope five times or so. Often, you understand it better each time, you see things that you kind of knew but now you recognize them.
I don't understand what periscopes and sections are compared to verses. What do you mean?

• When you think you understand it, compare your understanding to translations. What did you miss?
I don't usually translate as a reading exercise. Translation and reading are two different things.
That's what I do all the time. Try to "translate" it for myself (by that I mean trying to read and understand it by myself), then I'd check translations to confirm. Is that what you mean?

Anyhow, I've resolved to get better at parsing. I think I would be wasting my time if I continue my "translation" exercises while ignoring those parsings that I cannot do.

I don't know if it's okay to post this here, but I found a software that might just do the trick. It's called ScrollTag Trainer by Josh Grauman. I think the morphological help provided there would be of tremendous value to me.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sam wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:34 am
I don't understand what periscopes and sections are compared to verses. What do you mean?
A pericope is basically anything between headings in most Bibles.
Sam wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:34 am
That's what I do all the time. Try to "translate" it for myself (by that I mean trying to read and understand it by myself), then I'd check translations to confirm. Is that what you mean?
Yes.
Sam wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:34 amAnyhow, I've resolved to get better at parsing. I think I would be wasting my time if I continue my "translation" exercises while ignoring those parsings that I cannot do.

I don't know if it's okay to post this here, but I found a software that might just do the trick. It's called ScrollTag Trainer by Josh Grauman. I think the morphological help provided there would be of tremendous value to me.
That's good.

FWIW, it might be helpful to keep reading fairly simple Greek, such in the Gospel of John, before taking on 2 Thessalonians, which is significantly more challenging.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Sam

Post by Sam »

Jonathan Robie wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:28 pm A pericope is basically anything between headings in most Bibles.
Oh, so you mean to read more than a few verses. I only have around 30 minutes a day. I guess I'll have to try to find more time.
Jonathan Robie wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:28 pm FWIW, it might be helpful to keep reading fairly simple Greek, such in the Gospel of John, before taking on 2 Thessalonians, which is significantly more challenging.
I've been on the fence whether to abandon 2 Thessalonians or keep going. I was trying to follow Darryl Burling's plan. I guess Dan Wallace's is better. Thank you. I just started doing John. So much more relaxing to the brain. 8-)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sam wrote: February 6th, 2023, 5:32 am I've been on the fence whether to abandon 2 Thessalonians or keep going. I was trying to follow Darryl Burling's plan. I guess Dan Wallace's is better. Thank you. I just started doing John. So much more relaxing to the brain. 8-)
Good! I assume you mean this reading plan?

https://www.ntgreekstudies.net/blog/gnt ... difficulty

I think it's REALLY helpful to start with simple Greek, read a lot of it, then work your way up. It gets you into reading mode and thinking in Greek instead of always being in analyzing mode.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Jonathan Robie wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:28 pm Good! I assume you mean this reading plan?

https://www.ntgreekstudies.net/blog/gnt ... difficulty

I think it's REALLY helpful to start with simple Greek, read a lot of it, then work your way up. It gets you into reading mode and thinking in Greek instead of always being in analyzing mode.
Yep. That's the one.

Return to “Learning Paradigms”