Seeing the world in Greek

How can I best learn new vocabulary items? What aids are there and what pitfalls should be avoided? How does a beginner learn to use a lexicon?
Stephen Hughes

Re: Seeing the world in Greek

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Here are a few videos that I've created for educational and non-comercial purposes, under section VB the fair dealing provisions of the Australian Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968. These videos may contain copyright material. Any further reproduction or communication of this material by you may be the subject of copyright protection under the Act.

A few clips on the theme of washing again:

Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Here are a few videos that I've created for educational and non-comercial purposes, under section VB the fair dealing provisions of the Australian Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968. These videos may contain copyright material. Any further reproduction or communication of this material by you may be the subject of copyright protection under the Act.

A couple of outdoor things:

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Three words together.

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

These videos are specifically derived from quotes from ancient texts, put together with modern pictures. The stills are hotlinked from the UK telegraph and pinimg.com
Longus, Daphnis & Chloe, 2.26.2 wrote:καὶ δελφῖνες πηδῶντες ἐξ ἁλὸς ταῖς οὐραῖς
παίοντες τὰς ναῦς ἔλυον τὰ γομφώματα.

There are three words there, which are either not used in the NT or used with an unfamiliar sense.

1)
ἅλς means "the sea", rather than "salt" as it does in the New Testament.

2)
παίω, (παϝίω, cf. Lat. pavio), strike, smite (the 5 NT uses are in this meaning); ram into (strike with the whole body(weight) directly, rather with the body weight behind the hand, etc.).

Here is a picture of a dolphin playfully buffeting a canoe

3)
γομφώματα < γομφόω, fasten with bolts or nails (especially used of boat-building).

Here is a picture of a wooden boat as it was being constructed using traditional skills and methods.

Mt.4:8 wrote:παραλαμβάνει αὐτὸν ὁ διάβολος εἰς ὄρος ὑψηλὸν λίαν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

These videos are specifically derived from quotes from ancient texts, put together with modern pictures. The stills are hotlinked from the UK telegraph, Titanicuniverse.com, scienceabc.com and pinimg.com
Longus, Daphnis & Chloe, 2.26.2 wrote:καὶ δελφῖνες πηδῶντες ἐξ ἁλὸς ταῖς οὐραῖς
παίοντες τὰς ναῦς ἔλυον τὰ γομφώματα.

There are three words there, which are either not used in the NT or used with an unfamiliar sense.

1)
ἅλς means "the sea", rather than "salt" as it does in the New Testament.

2)
παίω, (παϝίω, cf. Lat. pavio), strike, smite (the 5 NT uses are in this meaning); ram into (strike with the whole body(weight) directly, rather with the body weight behind the hand, etc.).

Here is a picture of a dolphin playfully buffeting a canoe:

3)
γομφώματα < γομφόω, "I am fastening with bolts or nails" (especially used of boat-building).

Here is a picture of a wooden boat as it was being constructed using traditional skills and methods.

Here are some modern "age of steel" rivets (γόμφοι σιδηροῖ)

Here is a picture of the hull of a modern ship using rivets:

A possible effect of the pressure of a blow to the hull, by which ἐλύθη τὰ γομφώματα (ἐλύθησαν οἱ γόμφοι).

Another video based on a different passage:
Mt.4:8 wrote:παραλαμβάνει αὐτὸν ὁ διάβολος εἰς ὄρος ὑψηλὸν λίαν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Two videos illustrative of the range of meaning of βράζειν and a distinction between a reflexive construction and the middle-passive.

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Two videos based on John 21:9, showing the way Koine Greek structures meaning, where English might use un-Greek recursive relative clauses ("They saw the meat, which was cooking over the coals, which were in the BBQ").

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Here is a video that I've created for educational and non-comercial purposes, under section VB the fair dealing provisions of the Australian Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968. These videos may contain copyright material. Any further reproduction or communication of this material by you may be the subject of copyright protection under the Act.

Variations on the theme of three details from John 21:6 and 11.

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

The boy is dressing himself.

The girl is tidying up the toys.

The soldier is really pushing himself (up).

Some statues.

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Again from John 21. Two thoughts from verses three and nine respectively.

Another one to help with a possible visual imagination trigger for Mathew 17:27.

Return to “Vocabulary”