Athenaze

I don't understand what my textbook is saying about X. Can someone help me?
Mark Trzasko

Athenaze

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Is anyone studying Greek from Athenaze, Book 1?
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Athenaze

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I am using it as a supplementary textbook for my Greek students, actually.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I finished book 1, but I wouldn't mind a refresher from it. Are you asking for people to join you in study? What are you asking about?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

I had a question concerning the story on page 25 (the Second Edition). The Greek word for "possible" is in the neuter case in the sentence of line 14, "For it is possible to lift the stone." Is it neuter because "it" is considered to be impersonal?
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Mark Trzasko wrote:I had a question concerning the story on page 25 (the Second Edition). The Greek word for "possible" is in the neuter case in the sentence of line 14, "For it is possible to lift the stone." Is it neuter because "it" is considered to be impersonal?
The phrase in question is:

δυνατὸν γάρ ἐστιν αἴρειν τὸν λίθον.
For it is impossible to lift the stone.

The agreement would be with the infinitive itself.
From Smyth (§1985):
1985. Such quasi-impersonal verbs and expressions are δεῖ it is necessary, χρή (properly a substantive with ἐστί omitted, 793) it is necessary, δοκεῖ it seems good, ἔστι it is possible, ἔξεστι it is in one's power, οἷόν τέ ἐστι it is possible, πρέπει and προσήκει it is fitting, συμβαίνει it happens; and many expressions formed by ἐστί and a predicate noun, as ἄξιον it is right, δίκαιον it is just, ἀναγκαῖον it is necessary, δυνατόν it is possible, ἀδύνατον (or ἀδύνατα) it is impossible, αἰσχρόν it is disgraceful, καλόν it is honourable, ὥρα and καιρός it is time. With the last two expressions the old dative use of the infinitive is clear: ὥρα βουλεύεσθαι it is time for considering P. Soph. 241b.
Since the "infinitive was originally a verbal noun in the dative... case" (Smyth §1969), it appears with the neuter article (Smyth §1968.b.) and also with neuter descriptors. It's also logical since it is neither masculine nor feminine in concept. Maybe someone else will be able to provide a better explanation, but this is what I found in Smyth.

Hope it helps!

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Jason, thanks for your help!
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

On page 31 of Athenaze, line 9 has, "Dig the stones and carry out out of the field." Why does Greek have a redundant preposition?
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Mark Trzasko wrote:On page 31 of Athenaze, line 9 has, "Dig the stones and carry out out of the field." Why does Greek have a redundant preposition?
Again, it's better if you provide the Greek lines that you're referring to.

In this case:
σκάπτε τοὺς λίθους καὶ ἔκφερε ἐκ τοῦ ἀγροῦ.
Dig the stones and carry [them] out of the field.

You will come to see that prepositions attached to verbs are frequently repeated with their objects. This seems redundant in English, but it isn't really the case in Greek.

In English, the verb "enter" implies the preposition "into." Thus, we say "enter the house" in equivalence to "go in(to) the house." Yet, there are those who might say that someone "entered into the house." This is slightly redundant, but it isn't against the feeling of the sentence.

The same is true in Greek, in which you might say that someone εἰσβαίνει εἰς τὸν οἶκον "enters (into) the house." You shouldn't take it as redundant but as a feature of Greek. It's very common.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Thanks Jason. Which program do you use to type out the Greek lettering?
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I have Windows 7, and I use the standard Polytonic Greek keyboard layout that comes with the system.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Textbooks”