Athenaze

I don't understand what my textbook is saying about X. Can someone help me?
Mark Trzasko

Re: Athenaze

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Thanks Jason
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Thanks for the previous help that I've received. In Athenaze on page 63 at the very top, why is "protos" (sorry I don't have the ability to cite it in Greek) shown as an adjective? Shouldn't it be an adverb there answering a "when" question, hence, "proton"? Is it an adjective because the verb is a linking verb? Thanks for any light on this. Mark Trzasko
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

The sentence in question is:

πρῶτος οὖν πάρεστιν ὁ παῖς, καὶ ἰδού, ὁ μὲν Ἄργος μένει πρὸς τῇ ὁδῷ καὶ ἀγρίως ὑλακτεῖ, καταβαίνει δὲ ἐκ τοῦ ὄρους πρὸς τὸ αὔλιον λύκος μέγας.

I didn't notice this before, but the text introduces πρῶτον as an adverb in 4α and then πρῶτος, -η, -ον as an adjective in 5β.

I would guess that since ἐστίν is the equative verb, we should think of πρῶτος as adjectival, even though παρα- has been added to the verb. I mean, ὁ παῖς is obviously the subject of the sentence, so maybe: "Thus the lad is present first...." Do we normally use adverbs with "is"? We probably shouldn't think of the prefix as an adjective, as we do "present" in English (as opposed to "absent"). So, πρῶτος is modifying the being.

Maybe someone else would have a better explanation. I didn't really think too deeply about this when I first went through Ἀθήναζε.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Jason Hare wrote:The sentence in question is:

πρῶτος οὖν πάρεστιν ὁ παῖς, καὶ ἰδού, ὁ μὲν Ἄργος μένει πρὸς τῇ ὁδῷ καὶ ἀγρίως ὑλακτεῖ, καταβαίνει δὲ ἐκ τοῦ ὄρους πρὸς τὸ αὔλιον λύκος μέγας.

I didn't notice this before, but the text introduces πρῶτον as an adverb in 4α and then πρῶτος, -η, -ον as an adjective in 5β.

I would guess that since ἐστίν is the equative verb, we should think of πρῶτος as adjectival, even though παρα- has been added to the verb. I mean, ὁ παῖς is obviously the subject of the sentence, so maybe: "Thus the lad is present first...." Do we normally use adverbs with "is"? We probably shouldn't think of the prefix as an adjective, as we do "present" in English (as opposed to "absent"). So, πρῶτος is modifying the being.

Maybe someone else would have a better explanation. I didn't really think too deeply about this when I first went through Ἀθήναζε.
I doubt "παρειμι" can be used as an equative verb like "ειμι", but I think it is simply a normal intransitive verb meaning "be present". Instead, "πρωτος" is a special kind of word that modifies the meaning of the complete clause, though it is declined like an adjective agreeing with the subject. I would say it means "the boy/servant is first to be present", which would generally be said in English as "the boy/servant is present first". I do not think it answers the question of "when he is present" but rather the question of "who was the first to be present". In contrast "πρωτον" (neuter accusative) would be used to specify the time he is present.
δαυιδ λιμ
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

πάρειμι is a stative verb functioning sort of like a perfect tense (e.g. ἥκω, ἔρρω, φθάνω); its sense here is "to have arrived" -- here something like, "The boy is first on the scene." Adjective such as ordinals or temporals can function adverbially with many verbs. See Smyth, §1042:
Several adjectives of time, place, order of succession, etc., are used as predicates where English employs an adverb or a preposition with its case: ἀφικνοῦνται τριταῖοι they arrive on the third day X. A. 5.3.2, κατέβαινον σκοταῖοι they descended in the dark 4. 1. 10. In such cases the adjective is regarded as a quality of the subject; whereas an adverb would regard the manner of the action. ...
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

See? Much better answers. ;)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Thanks to all for the latest help! Mark Trzasko
Mark Trzasko

Post by Mark Trzasko »

Hello. For contract verbs, Athenaze shows the uncontracted as well as the contracted form. Which, if any, is the standard form? Thanks, Mark Trzasko
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Mark Trzasko wrote:Hello. For contract verbs, Athenaze shows the uncontracted as well as the contracted form. Which, if any, is the standard form?
In Attic and Koine, the contracted forms are the standard forms.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Mark Trzasko wrote:For contract verbs, Athenaze shows the uncontracted as well as the contracted form. Which, if any, is the standard form? Thanks, Mark Trzasko
If you are reading texts, you will find the contracted forms (as Stephen noted). But if you are looking for the meaning of a word, most dictionaries will have the headwords in uncontracted form (first person singular.present indicative).
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Textbooks”