Why does 2 Thess 1:8 use both an accusative and a dative for the direct object of a participle?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Sam

Re: Why does 2 Thess 1:8 use both an accusative and a dative for the direct object of a participle?

Post by Sam »

What is the purpose of asking questions in τι, τινος, τινι, τινα again?

And is it only a matter of switching the interrogative pronoun with the word it refers to?

Οἱ δοῦλοι τοῖς κυρίοις κατὰ τίνα ὑπακούουσιν;
Slaves obey masters in what way?

Οἱ δοῦλοι τίσιν κατὰ πάντα ὑπακούουσιν;
Slaves obey who in all things?

Οἱ δοῦλοι τοῖς κυρίοις κατὰ πάντα τί ποιεῖ;
Slaves do what to their masters in all things?

Like that?

I apologize if this is senseless.
Jason Hare

Re: Why does 2 Thess 1:8 use both an accusative and a dative for the direct object of a participle?

Post by Jason Hare »

Sam wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:44 am What is the purpose of asking questions in τι, τινος, τινι, τινα again?

And is it only a matter of switching the interrogative pronoun with the word it refers to?

Οἱ δοῦλοι τοῖς κυρίοις κατὰ τίνα ὑπακούουσιν;
Slaves obey masters in what way?

Οἱ δοῦλοι τίσιν κατὰ πάντα ὑπακούουσιν;
Slaves obey who in all things?

Οἱ δοῦλοι τοῖς κυρίοις κατὰ πάντα τί ποιεῖ;
Slaves do what to their masters in all things?

Like that?

I apologize if this is senseless.
Technically, "in what way?" would either be πῶς "how?" or (more literally) τίνι τρόπῳ "in what what?". It's normal practice to place the interrogative at the beginning of the sentence. For example:

τίνι τρόπῳ οἱ δοῦλοι τοῖς κυρίοις [ἑ]αυτῶν ὑπακούουσιν;
In what way do the slaves obey their masters?

τίνι (sg) / τίσιν (pl) ὅλως ὑπακούουσιν οἱ δοῦλοι;
Whom (sg/pl) do the slaves obey completely?

Et cetera.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sam wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:44 am What is the purpose of asking questions in τι, τινος, τινι, τινα again?
Asking and answering questions about Greek sentences in Greek is one of the best ways to learn to think in Greek. If you learn any modern language, there are writing exercises. You can construct your own writing exercises, using real language, by asking and answering questions about the text you are reading in Greek.

It's been a LONG time since I have done much of that, I'm getting rusty, but here's a handout I used when I did a little teaching of Greek as a living language:

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 13.19.33.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 13.19.33.png (251.12 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
Here's a handout that goes into just a little more depth:

https://github.com/LivingText/two-week- ... 0Greek.pdf

And a chapter in a grammar:

https://github.com/LivingText/two-week- ... stions.pdf
Sam wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:44 amAnd is it only a matter of switching the interrogative pronoun with the word it refers to?
Jason answered that well.

You do have to think about how to rewrite the sentence. That thinking can be done in Greek, and makes you think about how Greek sentences are built. That's part of the payoff.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

If I can shamelessly plug Athenaze as an introduction to Greek...

The books have so much reading material and so many translation exercises. It’s an excellent presentation of Greek for the sake of learning Greek, and the translation exercises satisfy the grammar nuts out there like me.

As a complete review of Greek grammar (and it’s intense!), I started with book 1 in English (second edition). When I finished book 1, I had book 2 in the second edition, but I decided to buy both books in the third edition. I started over with the third edition to make a run right through it. Now I have purchased the Italian version, too. I’ve got a friend online that meets with me once a week for an hour and fifteen minutes. We read, translate, discuss. It’s really nice.

When I first studied Greek in 1998, we used Mounce’s Basics of Biblical Greek, and that really was basic. We didn’t do English-to-Greek translation at all. Only Greek-to-English. Now, so many years later, I actually feel like I’m getting to a level of reading fluency that I can be proud of, and I’ve done tons of translation into Greek.

I cannot recommend Athenaze enough, and it has a passage from the Greek New Testament in every chapter!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Sam

Post by Sam »

Wow! All of a sudden there is so much material to study. I'll have to slog through these slowly. Thank you very much. I am very honored to be able to interact with experts in Greek. This is a tremendous blessing.

Return to “What does this text mean?”