if your brother offends you personally, you must forgive him.

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jonathan Robie

Re: if your brother offends you personally, you must forgive him.

Post by Jonathan Robie »

linjinting wrote: February 5th, 2024, 10:40 am Matthew 18:15, about which the text should be “Ἐὰν δὲ ἁμαρτήσῃ ὁ ἀδελφός σου, ὕπαγε ἔλεγξον αὐτὸν μεταξὺ σοῦ καὶ αὐτοῦ μόνου. ἐάν σου ἀκούσῃ, ἐκέρδησας τὸν ἀδελφόν σου.” It shouldn’t be “Ἐὰν δὲ ἁμαρτήσῃ εἰς σὲ ὁ ἀδελφός σου, ὕπαγε ἔλεγξον αὐτὸν μεταξὺ σοῦ καὶ αὐτοῦ μόνου. ἐάν σου ἀκούσῃ, ἐκέρδησας τὸν ἀδελφόν σου.”
What does "should be" mean here?

If I line this up, I see two words that differ between the two variants you list:

Ἐὰν δὲ ἁμαρτήσῃ ὁ ἀδελφός σου,
Ἐὰν δὲ ἁμαρτήσῃ [εἰς σὲ] ὁ ἀδελφός σου,

The rest seems to be the same:

ὕπαγε ἔλεγξον αὐτὸν μεταξὺ σοῦ καὶ αὐτοῦ μόνου. ἐάν σου ἀκούσῃ, ἐκέρδησας τὸν ἀδελφόν σου.
ὕπαγε ἔλεγξον αὐτὸν μεταξὺ σοῦ καὶ αὐτοῦ μόνου. ἐάν σου ἀκούσῃ, ἐκέρδησας τὸν ἀδελφόν σου.

Here are the major text variants:

https://www.greekcntr.org/collation/index.htm
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 15.33.16.png
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 15.33.16.png (512.63 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Most critical editions include εἰς σὲ, which matches the earliest witnesses. There's another variant reading involving καὶ. So what does "should be" mean to you here?

Also, what does "personally" mean to you here? What Greek do you think it matches? Why is the textual variant relevant to your reading?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “What does this text mean?”