NT Word Study

mlrolfe

Re: NT Word Study

Post by mlrolfe »

First, apologies to Barry and others, if I upset them. It was not intended.
Maybe I should be asking where on this site, forum members might share incites/examples of the greek way of life, revealed through some of the many ancient sources which are read by members here. Education and schooling, occasions for conversation in the market place, conversions which reveal life in those days.
Next time if I have a grammar question, I might ask it in greek.

Thank you.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

mlrolfe wrote: August 14th, 2018, 3:48 pm First, apologies to Barry and others, if I upset them. It was not intended.
Maybe I should be asking where on this site, forum members might share incites/examples of the greek way of life, revealed through some of the many ancient sources which are read by members here. Education and schooling, occasions for conversation in the market place, conversions which reveal life in those days.

Thank you.
Nobody is upset. We do want to see you succeed in your goals, and we don't see what you are doing as the best way to go about it.

A long overlooked resource now available, thanks to Eleanor Dickey, is the Colloquia of the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana, which were teaching texts used in ancient times, primarily teaching Greek speakers Latin. There is therefore plenty of ὁμιλίαι καθημεριναί (sermo cottidianus) to delight one wanting to know how the language was used in daily life, and some of the expressions are a bit surprising to those familiar only with the various literary traditions of ancient Greek. In addition to the Cambridge critical edition of the Colloquia Dickey also has some works based on her research (you can easily find it on Amazon under her name).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: August 15th, 2018, 12:11 am
mlrolfe wrote: August 14th, 2018, 3:48 pm First, apologies to Barry and others, if I upset them. It was not intended.

Thank you.
Nobody is upset. We do want to see you succeed in your goals, and we don't see what you are doing as the best way to go about it.

A long overlooked resource now available, thanks to Eleanor Dickey, is the Colloquia of the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana, which were teaching texts used in ancient times, primarily teaching Greek speakers Latin. There is therefore plenty of ὁμιλίαι καθημεριναί (sermo cottidianus) to delight one wanting to know how the language was used in daily life, and some of the expressions are a bit surprising to those familiar only with the various literary traditions of ancient Greek. In addition to the Cambridge critical edition of the Colloquia Dickey also has some works based on her research (you can easily find it on Amazon under her name).
The Colloquia appear to be available http://www.academia.edu/8114583/The_Col ... _CUP_2015_ here
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Shirley Rollinson wrote: August 15th, 2018, 7:08 pm
The Colloquia appear to be available http://www.academia.edu/8114583/The_Col ... _CUP_2015_ here
Or without the bother of logging in and downloading,
from this webpage http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chron ... _col0.html

Return to “Other”