In Ephesians 4:32, is χαρίζομαι really about forgiveness, per se, or is it about “showering with generosity” (“prodigali

Bill Ross

Re: In Ephesians 4:32, is χαρίζομαι really about forgiveness, per se, or is it about “showering with generosity” (“prodi

Post by Bill Ross »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 11:18 pm
Bill Ross wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 9:26 am And what might be your evidence?
Didn't you cite BDAG yourself?
③ to show oneself gracious by forgiving wrongdoing, forgive, pardon (Dionys. Hal. 5, 4, 3; Jos., Ant. 6, 144 ἁμαρτήματα χαρίζεσθαι) w. dat. of pers. and acc. of thing (TestJob 43:1 αὐτοῖς … τὴν ἁμαρτίαν αὐτῶν) χαρισάμενος ἡμῖν πάντα τὰ παραπτώματα Col 2:13; cp. 2 Cor 2:10a; 12:13. W. dat. of pers. alone Eph 4:32ab; Col 3:13ab (Plut., Mor. 488a χαίρειν τῷ χαρίζεσθαι μᾶλλον αὐτοῖς ἢ τῷ νικᾶν=to delight in doing them favors rather than getting the better of them). W. acc. of thing alone 2 Cor 2:10bc. Abs. (cp. EpArist 215) rather forgive 2 Cor 2:7.—B. 1174. DELG s.v. χάρις. M-M. EDNT. TW.
Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., p. 1078). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. I tried bolding and underlining what I think is the relevant part of BDAG and it doesn't seem to me to be saying what you are saying.
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.

Return to “Other”