εὐθύς in Mark

Greek texts such as the New Testament, The Greek Old Testament (Septuagint/LXX), Patristic Greek texts, Papyri, and other Greek writings of the New Testament era. Discussion must focus on the Greek text, not on modern language translations, theological controversies, or textual criticism.
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Robert S. Daniel

εὐθύς in Mark

Post by Robert S. Daniel »

Hi. I wonder if anybody knows of a book or journal article about the word ευθυς/ευθεως in the Gospel of Mark. It is used almost 40 times, many more than in Matt or Luke, and I'm thinking Mark may have done that to convey a certain notion. I have my own hypothesis about why he might have done that, but I'd like to find out what scholars have said about it in the past. I have in mind possibly writing my own article, so it would help to know about what others have said, and what journals might be interested in such a topic.

If anybody has any hints about how to do a search on this topic in databases like jstor or ebsco that would be especially helpful.
ευχαριστω
Εσπερος (aka Rob)
Jonathan Robie

Re: ευθυς in Mark

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Where to start ... there's an extensive literature on this. You can probably find references from various commentaries on Mark, or writings from the Discourse Analysis world by people like Runge and Levinsohn, Randall Buth has written on this, so has Rod Decker ...

For Randall's take, see Distinguishing Hebrew from Aramaic in Semitized Greek Texts, with an Application for the Gospels and Pseudepigrapha.

For Rod Decker's take, see εὐθύς (From: “Temporal Deixis of the Greek Verb in the Gospel of Mark with Reference to Verbal Aspect”).

Can someone help find some other starting points?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: εὐθύς in Mark

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Not difficult to find stuff on this topic.
https://www.academia.edu/6590469/_kai_e ... el_of_Mark
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Robert S. Daniel

Post by Robert S. Daniel »

Thanks for the pointer to this paper. I don't know about the academia site though. It was easier to just search for it on the web, because academia wants to do all kinds of extra stuff for me.
I kind of skimmed through the paper and it is the kind of thing that I was looking for. It looks like I might be able to find others using the same search key or similar.
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Robert S. Daniel wrote: May 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm It was easier to just search for it on the web, because academia wants to do all kinds of extra stuff for me.
OFF TOPIC

Been using Academia for ages to get articles one at a time. No problems. You just refuse all offers to upgrade.

Serious or even semi-serious treatments of language and exegesis are found in "published" articles more often than on blogs or social media.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: May 29th, 2020, 5:43 pm
Robert S. Daniel wrote: May 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm It was easier to just search for it on the web, because academia wants to do all kinds of extra stuff for me.
OFF TOPIC

Been using Academia for ages to get articles one at a time. No problems. You just refuse all offers to upgrade.

Serious or even semi-serious treatments of language and exegesis are found in "published" articles more often than on blogs or social media.
Beware of Academia also - it appears that anyone can post anything. Just check for the various papers on Linear A or the Phaistos Disk
nathaniel j. erickson

Post by nathaniel j. erickson »

Beware of Academia also - it appears that anyone can post anything.
I concur that the results on Academia can be very uneven. There is, though, a great deal of high quality work available there. The internal search engine, at least what is available for free, is certainly not awe-inspiring though.
Nathaniel J. Erickson
NT PhD candidate, ABD
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ntgreeketal.com
ὅπου πλείων κόπος, πολὺ κέρδος
ΠΡΟΣ ΠΟΛΥΚΑΡΠΟΝ ΙΓΝΑΤΙΟΣ

Return to “Greek Texts”