The Greek Family 35 vs Patriarchal Greek Text

Greek texts such as the New Testament, The Greek Old Testament (Septuagint/LXX), Patristic Greek texts, Papyri, and other Greek writings of the New Testament era. Discussion must focus on the Greek text, not on modern language translations, theological controversies, or textual criticism.
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Matthew Friend

The Greek Family 35 vs Patriarchal Greek Text

Post by Matthew Friend »

Hi Folks:
I have a Greek NT family/line question:

I have read some of Wilber Pickerings stuff on the Family 35 greek text. (I have it in Accordance). When I compare it with the Patriarchal Greek NT (1904) they seem to be very similar (mainly have found accents being different, though I have only compared one book). They seem to be more similar to each other than with the Robinson Majority text.

My question is: is the Patriarchal Greek text ( used by the Eastern Orthodox Church) based on the Family 35 greek text?

Thanks,
Matthew
Matthew Friend
Nebraska, USA
M.Div AGTS, S.T.M - Liberty Seminary
Stephen Carlson

Re: The Greek Family 35 vs Patriarchal Greek Text

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I'm not aware of any particular study on the question. An article by Karavidopoulos states that the 1904 edition was based on a study of 45 MSS on Mt. Athos and in Constantinople of the 10-14th century, so some them would not be Kr, but others could be.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Friend

Re: The Greek Family 35 vs Patriarchal Greek Text

Post by Matthew Friend »

Thank you Stephen for the info. I wish Logos software included the Family 35 text (its been in pre-pub gathering interest for a long time. I have the Fm 35 text in Accordance, but for quick scanning and comparing texts I like the way Logos lets me do it:

Matthew Friend
Nebraska, USA
M.Div AGTS, S.T.M - Liberty Seminary

Return to “Greek Texts”