In Mark 14:12, how should ὅτε τὸ πάσχα ἔθυον be understood?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jason Hare

Re: In Mark 14:12, how should ὅτε τὸ πάσχα ἔθυον be understood?

Post by Jason Hare »

Bill Ross wrote: April 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm So your grammatical analysis is determined by the context?
Yes, but not just grammatical analysis. Syntax, semantics, grammar, lexis... everything has to do with context, does it not? Even context has to do with context! There is literary context, historical context, social context, political context, religious context, etc.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Bill Ross wrote: April 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm If I understood Jeffrey's answer, he saw it as more simultaneous. You seem, on the basis of context, to see it as customary. I think that the simple fact of the matter is that only context can tell us. The imperfect rolls either way.
Who is Jeffrey?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Lol, I did it again. Can you PLEASE change your name to Jeffrey??! Obviously whatever wire got crossed in my mind isn't going away!

Actually, here's the real source of my calling you Jeffrey...

I have 6 sons, all with names beginning with J. I could never manage to get their names straight and would just call them by whatever J name popped into my head. It got me by without having to dredge up the correct name, which is NOT my forte. Sorry for this misnomer.
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.

Return to “New Testament”