προσανέθεντο (Gal 2:6)

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Gregory Hartzler-Miller

προσανέθεντο (Gal 2:6)

Post by Gregory Hartzler-Miller »

If in Gal 1:16
οὐ προσανεθέμην σαρκὶ καὶ αἵματι
...I did not consult with flesh and blood

Why not similarly in Gal 2:6?
ἐμοὶ γὰρ οἱ δοκοῦντες οὐδὲν προσανέθεντο
...the recognized ones did not consult with me
Barry Hofstetter

Re: προσανέθεντο (Gal 2:6)

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Gregory Hartzler-Miller wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:54 pm If in Gal 1:16

Could you clarify precisely what you are asking? It's not clear to me, at least.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Gregory Hartzler-Miller

Barry Hofstetter wrote: May 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm
Gregory Hartzler-Miller wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:54 pm If in Gal 1:16

Could you clarify precisely what you are asking? It's not clear to me, at least.
Apart from surrounding context in Galatians, is there anything in these Greek phrases alone, as quoted above to indicate that this translation of Gal 2:6 is wrong? Or, is the prevailing interpretation based entirely on an interpretation of surrounding context?
John Kendall

Post by John Kendall »

Apart from surrounding context in Galatians, is there anything in these Greek phrases alone, as quoted above to indicate that this translation of Gal 2:6 is wrong? Or, is the prevailing interpretation based entirely on an interpretation of surrounding context?
It's not completely an issue of the surrounding context. The two clauses have different complementation patterns. Gal 1:6 has a (compound) dative complement. Gal 2:6 has both a dative complement and an accusative complement. These differing complementation patterns limit the range of senses in which the verb can be understood in each case.

Maybe, though it's not clear from your translation, you've understood οὐδέν as an adverbial accusative, something like "in no way consulted with me", but it's not immediately evident to me how that would make good sense in the wider context, especially when a more plausible alternative is available.
Gregory Hartzler-Miller

John Kendall wrote: May 19th, 2021, 7:07 pm
It's not completely an issue of the surrounding context. The two clauses have different complementation patterns. Gal 1:6 has a (compound) dative complement. Gal 2:6 has both a dative complement and an accusative complement. These differing complementation patterns limit the range of senses in which the verb can be understood in each case.

Maybe, though it's not clear from your translation, you've understood οὐδέν as an adverbial accusative, something like "in no way consulted with me", but it's not immediately evident to me how that would make good sense in the wider context, especially when a more plausible alternative is available.

Cf οὐδέν με ἠδικήσατε (Gal 4:12):
in no way wronged me (with οὐδέν as an adverbial accusative)

But is this wrong on account of how οὐδέν με are both accusative and so go together? (I suppose one would say that the verb, ἠδικήσατε, has two accusative compliments).
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

The "like" button went away, so all I can say now is that this is exactly correct.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen Carlson wrote: May 20th, 2021, 8:25 am

The "like" button went away, so all I can say now is that this is exactly correct.
I was just about to type this very same reply.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
John Kendall

Post by John Kendall »

Gregory Hartzler-Miller wrote: May 20th, 2021, 6:37 am
Cf οὐδέν με ἠδικήσατε (Gal 4:12):
in no way wronged me (with οὐδέν as an adverbial accusative)

But is this wrong on account of how οὐδέν με are both accusative and so go together? (I suppose one would say that the verb, ἠδικήσατε, has two accusative compliments).
I'm sorry if I've missed your point but I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. This is a reasonably common complementation pattern for ἀδικέω. It's not clear to me how it's relevant to the uses of προσανατίθημι in Galatians.

In the case of middle voice occurrences of προσανατίθημι, the two basic complementation patterns take either a single dative complement or an accusative complement with a dative complement. On encountering a clause with what appears to be the latter pattern, I'd say that the default approach should be to interpret it in terms of adding/contributing something (acc.) to someone (dat.) (or some such similar gloss). Only if such a default line of interpretation were somehow incongruous with the context should it be necessary to seek other possibilities such as an adverbial accusative with a different sense for the verb. Maybe there's some linguistic model that would redescribe this in terms of cognitive processing pathways, but I'm no linguist.

I do hope this is of some help to you Gregory.
Gregory Hartzler-Miller

Supurb. Thanks.

Return to “New Testament”