1 Cor 3.5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Alan Patterson

1 Cor 3.5

Post by Alan Patterson »

τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν.

The final phrase needs some clarification and I'm wondering how others take it. What is the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson
Jonathan Robie

Re: 1 Cor 3.5

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Alan Patterson wrote:τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν.

The final phrase needs some clarification and I'm wondering how others take it. What is the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I read it like this:

διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε
servants through whom you have believed
καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν
to each (of you) as the Lord has given
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Alan Patterson wrote:τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν.

I read it like this:

διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε
servants through whom you have believed
καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν
to each (of you) as the Lord has given
I would prefer to understand the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ as implicit in διάκονοι; i.e. Apollos and Paul are διάκονοι inasmuch as that status and function has been conferred upon each of them.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

cwconrad wrote:I would prefer to understand the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ as implicit in διάκονοι; i.e. Apollos and Paul are διάκονοι inasmuch as that status and function has been conferred upon each of them.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

The sense seems to be something like "ministers through whom you believed, to each of whom the Lord gave a ministry." Paul's Greek appears a bit elliptical here.

Return to “New Testament”