Composition based on Mark 6:39,40 and Luke 22:55

This forum is for practicing composition based on ancient texts
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing how to do Greek composition and practicing writing in Greek.

If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Stephen Hughes

Composition based on Mark 6:39,40 and Luke 22:55

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I think I have a basic idea now of the restrictions on Greek usage arising from the speech-style dependent vocabulary moieties, and am perhaps ready to produce more idiomatic Greek.

The following two verses seem similar, because they are both based one single moiety key vocabulary items being used in gramatically independent phrases. They may be suitable to serve as models to base compositions on.
Mark 6:39,40 wrote:Καὶ ἐπέταξεν αὐτοῖς ἀνακλῖναι πάντας συμπόσια συμπόσια ἐπὶ τῷ χλωρῷ χόρτῳ. 40 Καὶ ἀνέπεσον πρασιαὶ πρασιαί, ἀνὰ ἑκατὸν καὶ ἀνὰ πεντήκοντα.
Luke 22:55 wrote:Ἁψάντων δὲ πῦρ ἐν μέσῳ τῆς αὐλῆς, καὶ συγκαθισάντων αὐτῶν, ἐκάθητο ὁ Πέτρος ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν.
Here are two attempts at sentence blends within the constraints of the vocabulary restrictions:
συγκαθισάντων τῶν συγγενῶν τε καὶ φίλων συμπόσια συμπόσια ἐπὶ τῷ χλωρῷ χόρτῳ, ἐκάθητο ὁ τά γενέσια ἑορτάζων ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν.
κατέσεισεν τῇ χειρὶ τοῖς ἀλλαντοπώλαις ἀνακλῖναι ἐν τῷ μακέλῳ. καὶ ἀνέπεσον ἐπὶ θρανίων καὶ τραπεζῶν.

Have I gone outside the speech-style dependent vocabulary restrictions in those compositions?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Composition based on ancient texts”