Greek Composition 4x4 Challenge

This forum is for writing about modern themes or phrases used in the classroom or for instruction that do not presume an ancient setting.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing how to do Greek composition and practicing writing in Greek.

If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Stephen Hughes

Re: Greek Composition 4x4 Challenge

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:Exile

ἐκεῖνος ὁ κατάξας λαὸς κατὰ στοῖχον ἤγετο κατὰ ἀνατολὰς περιπατοῦντες καὶ κλαίοντες.

Notes:
  • I think κατάγνυμι (κατάξας) can be used in this context. ...
Are you trying to say a "broken"? That might require a passive.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Thomas Dolhanty wrote:Exile

ἐκεῖνος ὁ κατάξας λαὸς κατὰ στοῖχον ἤγετο κατὰ ἀνατολὰς περιπατοῦντες καὶ κλαίοντες.

Notes:
  • I think κατάγνυμι (κατάξας) can be used in this context. ...
Are you trying to say a "broken"? That might require a passive.
Yes, of course. You're right. Thank you. :oops:

What I wanted to say was: ἐκεῖνος ὁ κατεαγμένος λαὸς κατὰ στοῖχον ἤγετο κατὰ ἀνατολὰς περιπατοῦντες καὶ κλαίοντες.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Four more words; διάφορος, κατάγνυμι, κείρω, πρόσκαιρος.
I'm afraid I need to use two themes here. I can't think of a way to work them together.

ἡ μαγείρισσα οὐ ἐκόψεν ἐν μαχαίρῃ τὸ σέλινον, ἀλλὰ κατέαξεν αὐτὸ ἐν χερσίν. εἶπε δὲ αὐτὴ ὅτι τὸ γεῦμα διάφορον.

τὸ (ἀγένειον) πρόσωμον κεκαρμένου ἀνδρὸς πρόσκαιρον ἐκλάμπει. ἐν δὲ ἑνδεκάτῃ ὥρᾳ πάλιν μελαίνουσιν αἱ σιαγῶνες καὶ τὸ γένειον αὐτοῦ.
Thomas Dolhanty

Stephen Hughes wrote:.
τὸ (ἀγένειον) πρόσωμον κεκαρμένου ἀνδρὸς πρόσκαιρον ἐκλάμπει. ἐν δὲ ἑνδεκάτῃ ὥρᾳ πάλιν μελαίνουσιν αἱ σιαγῶνες καὶ τὸ γένειον αὐτοῦ.
πρόσωμον is a typo for πρόσωπον, right?
γράφω μαθεῖν
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:.
πρόσωμον is a typo for πρόσωπον, right?
Yes. It wouldn't be something like the "front of the shoulder"*.
Thomas Dolhanty

Yes. It wouldn't be something like the "front of the shoulder"*.
I don't know, man. Have you seen some of those dudes in the international beard growing contests?
γράφω μαθεῖν
Thomas Dolhanty

Another four words, with Gingrich definitions: ψηλαφάω, συμβιβάζω, φραγμός , ἀκρίς
  1. [GING] ψηλαφάω
    ψηλαφάω feel (about for), touch, handle, grope after Lk 24:39; Ac 17:27 (ψηλαφήσειαν 1 aor. act. opt. 3 pl.); Hb 12:18; 1 J 1:1.* [pg 219] [GING] συμβιβάζω
  2. [GING] συμβιβάζω
    συμβιβάζω—1. bring together, unite—a. lit. hold together pass. Eph 4:16; Col 2:19.—b. fig. unite, knit together pass. Col 2:2.—2. conclude, infer Ac 16:10.—3. demonstrate, prove 9:22.—4. instruct, teach, advise 19:33; 1 Cor 2:16.* [pg 188]
  3. [GING] φραγμός
    φραγμός, οῦ, ὁ fence, wall, hedge—1. lit. Mt 21:33; Mk 12:1; Lk 14:23.—2. fig. barrier Eph 2:14.* [pg 212]
  4. [GING] ἀκρίς
    ἀκρίς, ίδος, ἡ locust, grasshopper Mt 3:4; Mk 1:6; Rv 9:3, 7.* [pg 7]
γράφω μαθεῖν
cwconrad

Re: "Gingrich Definitions"

Post by cwconrad »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:Another four words, with Gingrich definitions: ψηλαφάω, συμβιβάζω, φραγμός , ἀκρίς
I was confused by the term "Gingrich definitions", wondering if this might be "the Newt", erstwhile professor of American History who served briefly as Speaker of the House and now occasionally as a political pundit. More likely, I'd guess, the reference is to one of the older English versions of the Bauer German NT Greek Lexicon; (the most recent volume owes far more to the work of Danker):

BAG: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature 1963 by W. F. Arndt and F. W. Gingrich

BAGD: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Second Edition 2nd Edition by Walter Bauer (Author), F. Wilbur Gingrich (Author, Editor), William F. Arndt (Editor), Frederick W. Danker (Editor)

BDAG: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd Edition 3rd Edition
by Walter Bauer (Author), Frederick William Danker (Editor)
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Thomas Dolhanty

cwconrad wrote:I was confused by the term "Gingrich definitions" ....
Sorry. I was using BibleWorks notation. The reference is to Shorter Lexicon of the Greek New Testament, F. Wilbur Gingrich, revised by Frederick W. Danker. It is described as "... a digest of the basic lexical information on New Testament words contained in Bauer/Arndt/Gingrich/Danker". I find it quite useful when I am simply looking for short treatments, and do not want to deal with the fuller and much more voluminous review found in something like BDAG.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:The reference is to Shorter Lexicon of the Greek New Testament, F. Wilbur Gingrich, revised by Frederick W. Danker. It is described as "... a digest of the basic lexical information on New Testament words contained in Bauer/Arndt/Gingrich/Danker". I find it quite useful when I am simply looking for short treatments, and do not want to deal with the fuller and much more voluminous review found in something like BDAG.
For what it's worth, Danker also has a "concise" lexicon of the NT. As far as I can tell, it is not an abridgement of BDAG but an independent look at many lexemes.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “The modern world”