5x1 definition challenge

This forum is for writing about modern themes or phrases used in the classroom or for instruction that do not presume an ancient setting.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing how to do Greek composition and practicing writing in Greek.

If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Stephen Hughes

5x1 definition challenge

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Please compose definitions that you find adequate to explain, define the meanings of the words occurring five (5) times in the New Testament. [Of course the five times stipulation is more of a suggestion, a reasonable starting point from which to expand].

The challenge is simple: Write for yourself, so that you feel that the dictionary entry that you composed could have been understood by you, if you did not know the meaning before you knew it. Brief is okay, long is okay too.

I think that critiquing will be of obvious things and direct suggestions, and by that more than one person may give their own ways that they find helpful to understand the same word. There is no "right" answer as to how to express meaning. You could choose the same as someone else or choose ones that interest you more, or which you feel more confident about.

There are 225 words occurring five times in the GNT according to Trenchard, so there are plenty to choose from. I think they are below the emotional ten times or more barrier, and contained enough not to get lost in, as the words occurring once or twice tend to leave one wandering in.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Hughes

Re: 5x1 definition challenge

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Here is a word of mine to start things off. Here are few of my expressions of meaning for πέτεσθαι:

πέτεσθαι
  • - πτέρυξιν μετακινεῖσθαι ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ.
    - πτερυγίζειν καὶ αἰωρεῖσθαι.
    [- τρόπος μετακινήσεως πετεινῶν καὶ πτερωτῶν ἐντόμων.]
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

ᾄδειν: αἴρεσθαι καὶ καθαιρεῖσθαι τὴν φωνήν ἐν τρόπῳ τῷ ἀρέσκειν.

νῦν ἐν τῷ χριστιανῷ ἐκκλησίᾳ πόλλοι ἄνδρες καὶ γυναῖκες ᾄδουσιν. καὶ ὁ μὴ γινώσκων τοῦς λογοῦς, ἀναγνώσεται αὐτοῦς ἐκ τῶν ᾠδῶν βίβλων.

Well, let's see if any of this makes sense. Any critiques are welcome.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:ἐν τρόπῳ τῷ ἀρέσκειν.
Are you using this adjectivally? Perhaps εὔφωνος might be possible.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Are you using this adjectivally? Perhaps εὔφωνος might be possible.
Maybe ὥστε ἀρέσκειν or εἰς τὸ ἀρέσκειν
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Are you using this adjectivally? Perhaps εὔφωνος might be possible.
That was what I was intending for lack of a better idea.
cwconrad wrote:Maybe ὥστε ἀρέσκειν or εἰς τὸ ἀρέσκειν
I think Carl's suggestions make much better sense than the rubbish I selected.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:
The construction for the verb ἀρέσκειν is one of those things that Greek gets backwards. Look at this; "and Herod liked (it)" (i.e. the dancing) is expressed as καὶ ἤρεσεν τῷ Ἡρῴδῃ·, and "we don't do what we like" is καὶ μὴ ἑαυτοῖς ἀρέσκειν. It doesn't seem like it is enough to write that without expressing who would like the singing. In Wes' church music setting, perhaps adding the people you hope would like it as εἰς τὸ ἀρέσκειν τῷ Θεῷ καὶ τοῖς ἀνθρώποις would be okay.

Your ἀρέσκειν was okay. It just lacked the supporting words to integrate it into the sentence, and also lacked the other elements that are idiomatically used with it.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Wes Wood wrote:
The construction for the verb ἀρέσκειν is one of those things that Greek gets backwards. Look at this; "and Herod liked (it)" (i.e. the dancing) is expressed as καὶ ἤρεσεν τῷ Ἡρῴδῃ·, and "we don't do what we like" is καὶ μὴ ἑαυτοῖς ἀρέσκειν. It doesn't seem like it is enough to write that without expressing who would like the singing. In Wes' church music setting, perhaps adding the people you hope would like it as εἰς τὸ ἀρέσκειν τῷ Θεῷ καὶ τοῖς ἀνθρώποις would be okay.

Your ἀρέσκειν was okay. It just lacked the supporting words to integrate it into the sentence, and also lacked the other elements that are idiomatically used with it.
I don't think I'd say it's one of those things that Greek gets backwards. Compare Latin placet, French il me plaît, Italian mi piace, etc. Such verbs are like the impersonals -- ἔξεστι, χρή, δεῖ, ὕει, κτλ. At any rate, it seems to me that ὥστε ἀρέσκειν does carry the sense, "with a view to giving pleasure" or, s'il vous plaît, pour laisser les bons temps rouler. it is Mardi Gras season, I think.

Carl W. Conrad
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

cwconrad wrote:I don't think I'd say it's one of those things that Greek gets backwards. Compare Latin placet, French il me plaît, Italian mi piace, etc. Such verbs are like the impersonals -- ἔξεστι, χρή, δεῖ, ὕει, κτλ. At any rate, it seems to me that ὥστε ἀρέσκειν does carry the sense, "with a view to giving pleasure" or, s'il vous plaît, pour laisser les bons temps rouler.
I assumed that Wes was translating from English. The statement was made relative to that assumption.

All the NT examples of ἀρέσκειν specify the person who does the liking (most often in the dative), so far as I can see. I think it is verb that requires a little syntactic caution to use well.
it is Mardi Gras season, I think.
Yes. It seems to be beginning this weekend. The parade is in a month's time. I have seen it advertised, but am not aware of the details.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
cwconrad wrote:I don't think I'd say it's one of those things that Greek gets backwards. Compare Latin placet, French il me plaît, Italian mi piace, etc. Such verbs are like the impersonals -- ἔξεστι, χρή, δεῖ, ὕει, κτλ. At any rate, it seems to me that ὥστε ἀρέσκειν does carry the sense, "with a view to giving pleasure" or, s'il vous plaît, pour laisser les bons temps rouler.
I assumed that Wes was translating from English. The statement was made relative to that assumption.

All the NT examples of ἀρέσκειν specify the person who does the liking (most often in the dative), so far as I can see. I think it is verb that requires a little syntactic caution to use well.
it is Mardi Gras season, I think.
Yes. It seems to be beginning this weekend. The parade is in a month's time. I have seen it advertised, but am not aware of the details.
In New Orleans les bons temps have been rolling since January 6! http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

Carl W. Conrad

Return to “The modern world”